Old 11-12-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
strawberri
Casting On

what is the next step after cast on?
hi all
i have tried watching the video by amy for beginners but there is something wrong with the video posted. now i am stuck cos i have finished the 1st row with the cast on and i dont know how to continue. can anyone help?
strawberri is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
horve1
Turning the Heel

It depends on what you want to make. If you cast on as many stitches as your pattern calls for, you start the next row. If you post a little more information, we can try to help you better.
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
strawberri
Casting On

Originally Posted by horve1
It depends on what you want to make. If you cast on as many stitches as your pattern calls for, you start the next row. If you post a little more information, we can try to help you better.
Hi
i am trying to knit a scarf. basically i have finished the 1st row of cast on (everything in on my needle) i dont have any more of the "tail" to cast on, anyway, i have kinda decided this will be the width of the scarf. so now i am clueless on what i should do next.
thanks for yr advice
Old 11-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
horve1
Turning the Heel

Do you know the knit stitch yet? Or the purl stitch? If not, watch the video on the knit stitch and knit the stitches you cast on with your other needle. Then it depends on how adventurous you want to get. You can just keep knitting your stitches from one needle to the other until your scarf is as long as you want it to be, or you can try the purl stitch from that video and alternate rows of purl. Or alternate knit and purl in a row.
Hope that helps!
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by strawberri
i am trying to knit a scarf. basically i have finished the 1st row of cast on (everything in on my needle) i dont have any more of the "tail" to cast on, anyway, i have kinda decided this will be the width of the scarf. so now i am clueless on what i should do next.
thanks for yr advice
Once you work those stitches, they'll be a lot wider than they are now. But basically, put the needle in your left hand and take the yarn that's attached to the ball/skein and make your first stitch. Look at the video for knit stitch and keep doing that over and over again. Don't be discouraged if it looks different than in the video.

Something I think all new knitters should do is get some cheap practice yarn and work with that before starting their project. Many of them get frustrated during the learning process and if they're not using the `good' yarn, I think their expectations aren't as high and they can relax more and learning is a little easier.

Just a couple cents worth....

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
strawberri
Casting On

Originally Posted by horve1
Do you know the knit stitch yet? Or the purl stitch? If not, watch the video on the knit stitch and knit the stitches you cast on with your other needle. Then it depends on how adventurous you want to get. You can just keep knitting your stitches from one needle to the other until your scarf is as long as you want it to be, or you can try the purl stitch from that video and alternate rows of purl. Or alternate knit and purl in a row.
Hope that helps!
oh. u mean i have to transfer the stitches from one needle to another like what is done in the video? i think i know what you mean...thanks!!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
strawberri
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq
thanks for yr advice
Once you work those stitches, they'll be a lot wider than they are now. But basically, put the needle in your left hand and take the yarn that's attached to the ball/skein and make your first stitch. Look at the video for knit stitch and keep doing that over and over again. Don't be discouraged if it looks different than in the video.

Something I think all new knitters should do is get some cheap practice yarn and work with that before starting their project. Many of them get frustrated during the learning process and if they're not using the `good' yarn, I think their expectations aren't as high and they can relax more and learning is a little easier.

Just a couple cents worth....

sue
thanks sue =) am gonna try out now since i can't sleep now. haha
Old 11-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
oh. u mean i have to transfer the stitches from one needle to another like what is done in the video? i think i know what you mean...thanks!!
Yup, they don't do it by themselves...

That's what knitting is - working stitches off one needle onto the other, then switch needles and doing it all over again

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Here's another site that teaches you step by step. It's helpful to have in addition to the videos plus you can print them out.

Learn to knit
Lion Brand - Learn to knit

Since you are obviously in the very early stages of learning I have a few suggestions.

~Knitting takes practice so don't get discouraged.
~Don't keep ripping it out if it's not perfect, just keep going.
~There will be some loose stitches here and there, but that's okay. It all evens out as you get better.
~Learn what a purl and a knit stitch look like.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
knitasha
Turning the Heel

My humble opinion:
Videos are great for learning specific techniques -- I learned a lot from the increase and decrease videos. But I'm not sure you can cobble together a whole how-to-knit course. Proof: the fact that you didn't know what to do after casting on.

If I were just starting out, I'd get a copy of The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville. It goes step by step, telling you exactly what to do next, and not confusing you with a lot of extra stitch patterns. Yet, using only one stitch, you can make really good-looking sweaters, scarves, hats, and many other items. Melville is a great teacher and the book is like having her looking over your shoulder as you learn.

When you've absorbed everything in the book, you can go on to the second book in the series, The Purl Stitch, and then you're really flying -- there's nothing you can't make.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote