Old 11-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
moonncat
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to moonncat Send a message via Yahoo to moonncat
Neckband help
I am soooo not good at picking up stitches and my first two sweaters look great until I get to the neck band and have to pick up stitches. So,,,,

Why can't I just make 1 1/2" to 2" of ribbing and then sew it on to the neck area when I get to the neckband?
moonncat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

What is your pattern like? Could you just continue in ribbing when you get to the neck instead of binding off and and starting the band as a separate piece?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
moonncat
Casting On

My pattern is just a simple stockinette child's sweater. It's the Lion Brand Yarn cotton sweater that's all different colors. It very simple but says to pick up and knit stitches making the neckband. It's one of those that roll down. I don't like collars to roll down so I make them ribbed. But I should be able to make ribbing and just sew it on. right?
Old 11-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
moonncat
Casting On

wait. I see what you mean...hmmm...I think I could do that too
Old 11-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Well I went to the lion brand site and if it's the sweater I think it is, I don't think what I suggested would work. (I think it would have worked well if the sweater were a yoke or raglan type knit in the round with identical front and back, but alas, it's not. Pretty limited situation now that I think about it... oh well. It was worth a shot I guess!) Your idea sounds good to me.

Oh, how about this? What I would do is to leave the center back and front stitches on holders instead of binding off -- and then just work from those live stitches when doing the ribbing -- you'd still have to pick up a few along the sides of the front, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as having to pick up the whole way around. I've read that it's a good idea to put the back neck stitches on holders instead of binding off anyway, because it reduces the likelihood that the neckband will be too tight.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 11-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
moonncat
Casting On

Oh, but you know what? I'm not doing it in those funky colors. I'm doing both the front and back in a self striping pastel yarn
Old 11-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I just edited my previous post with a new idea (see second paragraph). Sorry I didn't make a new post. That probably would've made more sense.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
moonncat
Casting On

I'm gonna try your idea Thanks so much for helping me!