Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
shreck
Casting On

Question about slipping stitch at beginning of each row..
The pattern I'm working on calls for slipping the first stitch of each row to create a selvedge edge for crocheting later on. The row I'm on starts off with (knit 2 together, knit 1) 5 times... So do I just slip off the first 2 stitches instead of only the 1st, or do I slip the first stitch and then start the (knit 2 together, knit 1)?

Thanks!
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It depends on how the pattern is written. If they've told you to add two stitches to slip for your selvedge, then you'll need to do that.

However, if all the other rows are such that you are able to slip a stitch, then don't do it on this row. Do the k2tog, since you need the decrease or your pattern will be off. It won't make any major difference in the edge for the crocheting.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
shreck
Casting On

The pattern doesn't say anything about adding stitches, but it does say in bold letters that it is imperative to slip the first stitch of each row to work a single crochet later on. It actually says this as a reminder several times all throughout the pattern.

This row I'm on is (knit 2 together, knit 1) 5 times, knit 2, (knit 1, knit 2 together) 5 times.

The next 8 rows that follow are 2 x 2 ribbing.

Just glancing through the rest of the pattern I don't see anywhere else that it shows to start off a row with knitting 2 together.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I would still knit the 2 tog. If you don't, you'll have an extra stitch.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
shreck
Casting On

Okay, thank you. That makes sense :-)
Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
K2tog makes a different edge stitch than just a single k one, so go ahead and do it like that. Although since it's at the beginning of the row, you could do the dec as SSK and it would be more like the other slipped stitches.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

How many stitches are you starting out with, and what are the full row's instructions?? It could be that your pattern already takes into account an 'edge' stitch so that you do slip the first stitch of even that first row.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:58 AM   #8
shreck
Casting On

Well, I decided to just skip the slipping the first stitch on that one row, and it seems like it'll be fine. I dug around and searched on another board where others have knit this same pattern, and it sounds like it's not terribly crucial for the finished edge to skip the slip stitch. Someone else had accidentally forgotten to slip the first stitch a few times throughout the pattern, and the designer of the pattern told her it wasn't a big deal but just to make sure to only pick up one stitch when it comes to the crocheting. I'm not familiar with crocheting, so I don't totally understand that part yet but I assumed it'd be okay to not slip the first stitch for that one row if the designer of the pattern said it wasn't that big of a deal for someone who forgot to slip a few rows here and there. Anyway, I'm several rows down on the pattern now, and it seems to be going good.

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I move through this pattern, but so far it's going good and seems to be a good stepping stone into a slightly more difficult pattern than what I've done so far..... which isn't saying much!