Old 11-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

"Knitting with Balls" "Men's" knitting b
A few days ago I ordered the book "Knitting with Balls - a hands-on guide to knitting for the modern man". It just arrived yesterday.

I was really looking forward to this book, but unfortunately it's just aweful, franky even insulting.

The author of the book must assume that male knitters are effeminate.

Also, half of the patterns are completely useless and seem to be there just to take up space. The other half are either geared toward gay men (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it certainly doesn't suit me) or are nothing you can't get elswhere for free.

The most infuriating thing is that the pattern for sweater on the cover (which actually looks great) is NOT included in the book.

So disappointing.

I'd like to go into more detail, but I didn't want to be too negative. I just wanted to warn others that might be considering purchasing this book.

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone might have about this book.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
Yea, I took a look through the book at the bookstore, and it was so unappetizing. I couldn't believe the stuff they put in there. I'm not a guy, but in my opinion, it didn't seem to be what most guys would want.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
That's so upsetting! Did you order it from Amazon on bn.com? They have decent return policies. And if you ordered from bn.com, you can bring it in to a Barnes & Noble and exchange it or get a store credit. (If you want the credit to your card, you have to ship it back and bn.com has to process the return.)

There's no point in keeping something you find useless, so you might as well exchange it for a book you'll actually use and read!

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by cawthraven
That's so upsetting! Did you order it from Amazon on bn.com? They have decent return policies. And if you ordered from bn.com, you can bring it in to a Barnes & Noble and exchange it or get a store credit. (If you want the credit to your card, you have to ship it back and bn.com has to process the return.)

There's no point in keeping something you find useless, so you might as well exchange it for a book you'll actually use and read!
Yup, it's going back.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
That is awful! Next time before buying a book on the internet, you might want to go to a local bk store or libraray to see what's really in the contents.

Yikes. I am sorry to hear about it.
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by skNYC
That is awful! Next time before buying a book on the internet, you might want to go to a local bk store or libraray to see what's really in the contents.

Yikes. I am sorry to hear about it.
Naa, it's no problem to send it back.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

I really like that sweater on the cover. WHY WHY WHY is it not in the book!?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTea
I don't get that at all!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Originally Posted by MrTea
I don't get that at all!
Yea, it's crazy. There is a sweater inside that looks similar, but it has a huge plunging V neck (I don't know what else to call it, but whatever it is it looks terrible). The one on the cover with the regular collar is just not in there.

All other problems with that book aside. I would keep it just for that sweater pattern.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by cawthraven
Let me elaborate on the "useless" aspect, just so it doesn't seem like Iím being unfair.

these patterns are just regular dumb...
a camouflage coffee cozy.
a beer bottle cozy.
a knit bi-fold wallet.

But the one that takes the cake is the "utility cloth", which is basically just a rag. They show a guy polishing his motorcycle with it. Like I'm going to spend all that time knitting a beautiful rag, to then get all greasy with motor oil and axle grease and have to just throw it away. That's what disposable shop rags are for. All it is a simple dishrag/baby blanket pattern. Only in size somewhat larger than a dishrag and smaller than a baby blanket. But they call it a "utility cloth" so it's for a man.

The vast majority of the other patterns are pink or have bright pastel or other feminine colors, frilly edges, really fruity stuff. I've seen ladies patterns that are more masculine. I just assume leave the house wearing a blouse and a pair of kulats.