Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Cathybuck
Casting On

Multidirectional scarf question
I hope I can explain my question clearly. I want to make the Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf. I've read everything I can find about short rows and think I understand how to turn and wrap, then knit back the way I came. But I don't get how you attach the new short row section to the first triangle, so the scarf stays rectangular instead of looking like two separate triangles. Patterns for these scarves don't say you go back and sew the triangles together, and don't tell you to pick up stitches as you make new rows. What am I missing? I'm sure it's not hard, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks!
Cathybuck is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
After you've knit the first triangle you will not cut the yarn but continue with your next triangle, joining the two as you work by SSK, (slipping two stitches from left to right needle then knitting them together).

If you follow the instructions you will see it come together as you work.

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Cathybuck
Casting On

OK. Still having troubles visualizing it. Let's say I have 12 stitches on my needle and I want to make a really narrow little scarf so it's time to start the second (short row) section. Here's what the pattern says:

Row 1: Inc, SSK (or SKP throughout, your choice), turn.
Row 2 and all even-numbered rows: Knit

So on the first of the 12 stitches, I knit in the front & back to increase. Now I have two stitches on the right needle. Then, I SSK. That puts 3 stitches on the right needle. This is where I get confused - what's my next stitch? Do I turn? I'd only have 3 stitches to work if I turned.

Thanks again - this is just eluding me.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
OK, so here is a quick visual which will, hopefully, make this simpler for you.

Your first triangle has 12 stitches:

You then turn your work, inc., SSK:

You will notice that there are still only 12 stitches, total, on both needles - you have not increased your stitch count because you inc. on the first stitch but then you SSK to dec.

Carrying on in this way across the first triangle you will then be creating your next triangle...

Does that help at all?

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Cathybuck
Casting On

I think so - your pictures are wonderful. Thank you so much for posting them! I'm going to get some yarn and try it again tomorrow. The thing I still don't get is when I turn and knit the other direction ... do I wait til I get to the end of the row, and just wrap that SSK stitch? Maybe it will make more sense when I try it again.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:30 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You turn after the ssk and you don't need to wrap in garter stitch. Then work the 3 sts and turn for the next row. Each RS row (the ones you do inc and ssk on) you'll be adding an extra stitch until you get all the way across.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Cathybuck
Casting On

Got it!

Thank you so much!!!