Old 11-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitpicks Yarn
I am going to get myself a set of Knitpicks Options, and I'm thinking of getting some yarn to go with it so I can make full use of the shipping fee I'm paying. Do they have high-quality yarns and which are good value for money? Are there any I should avoid? I'm leaning towards their Bare yarn because I like playing with Kool-Aid. It's not scratchy or anything, is it?
trollgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

The merinos are the softest of the Bare yarns, IMHO. Peruvians are the scratchiest, and the superwash is in between, but definitely much less scratchy than the Peruvian. I consider it next-to-skin, but if you're sensitive to wool the merino is a much safer choice IMHO.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Well, it depends on who you ask and what you are comparing the yarn to. I haven't been very impressed with their yarn myself but lots of people like it. The yarns that I have ordered from them are rather loosely spun and not as robust as some regular brand name yarn. Probably ok if you are not making something that you want to last for a long time. Sometimes as is the case with their lace yarns there are much better yarns available elsewhere that are only slightly more expensive.

I feel the Elann house brands are somewhat superior to Knitpicks. Softer, nicer colors and a little better spun. I also like Brown Sheep yarns and things like Cascade superwash that aren't very expensive either.

If you are trying to get your order to a certain amount for the free shipping, you could consider ordering books and other items. They give a very good discount on books, software, etc.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I don't get free shipping because it's being shipped to Canada. I thought that since I was going to be paying the $9 or whatever it is, I might as well buy more stuff. Thanks for the book suggestion though!
trollgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
moon
Ribbing the Cuff

I love their yarn. You could also get some books too. Those will get you to free shipping very quickly.

They also have this hand lotion I want to try. Their accessory section is fantastic.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
newamy
Working the Gusset

I have the Swish Superwash. It is soft and nice. It's a bit finer guage than some other superwashes I've tried. The label says size 6 to 9. It was way too loose on 9's and is fine on a 6. Might be okay on 7's but I think my 7s were in use at the time so I didn't try it. For the scarf I'm making it's turning out great.
I've used the Elegance and really like that. Made the Branching out scarf with two skeins of it.
I'm also using the essential tweed sock yarn. Soft and knits well but has annoying puff balls that come off it.
I also have some of the Crayon. It was too thin for something I was trying to make so havne't really used it. It seems like it would make a good baby item though.
I have the Options and really like them by the way.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

I like their Andean Silk. Nice and soft.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote