Old 11-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

Help with sock
I am knitting my first sock, and I got the heel flap. I am doing this via Magic Loop, one sock at a time.

The instructions said "slip first 12 stitches of last round onto free needle, then knit the last 12 stitches of the last round onto same needle. Slip the remaining 24 stitches onto a stitch holder to be worked later for instep."

Okay, so I slipped the last 12 stitches on to my free needle. But then, I knitted the next 12 then slipped the remaining 24 on to the cable of my needle. so it kind of looks like a scoop. But now that I read this, in the am instead of after a 18 hour day, it sounds like I should have slipped 12 stitches , then 24 onto the stitch holder, and then knit the remaining 12.

Can someone tell me which one is right?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

The 24 stitches that are going to be used for the heel flap are the first 12 and the last 12 of the round. What I would do is this. Start the next round as usual, but only knit the first 12 stitches of the round. Stop right there, pull the needle points out so that all of your stitches slide back down onto the cable of the circ needle. Now, starting with that 12th stitch that you just worked, the one that currently has the working yarn on it, count off 24 stitches and at that point, pull the loop of the circ needle between stitch 24 and 25. The 24 stitches that are now on your needle point are the ones that will be for the heel flap, the first row you work will be a WS row, and the other 24 stitches can just stay on the cable of the circ while you do the heel flap. There is really no need for any extra needles.

Ask if you have any more questions, I've done many socks using magic loop.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, so let me see if I got this.

I rip out what I have already done (about 2 inches worth, but that is okay, I want a wearable sock). Then I start knitting my round, stop after 12, count 24 from that point, pull cable between #24 and 25 stitch. Do I count "12, 13, 14..." or "1,2,3...". Sorry, I know, I know. Then when I get to 24, I pull the cable, so there are 24 stitches on my needle to work with, and 24 resting. Is that right?

Can you tell me where I went wrong? I finished my round, then slipped twelve, knit 12, then pulled the rest to the end of my cable, and started working the wrong side row. Should that have been knit, then slip?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I don't want you to rip it out, it might be done correctly but I was just explaining a different (and easier, in my opinion) way to do it. As long as you are using the first 12 stitches and the last 12 stitches of the previous round for your heel flap, and the working yarn is positioned properly on those 24 stitches so that the first row you worked is a WS row, then you are fine.

If you slipped the last 12 stitches of the round onto a spare needle, then used that needle to knit the first 12 stitches of the next round (so you now have 24 stitches on your spare needle with your working yarn at the beginning of a WS row) then that's just fine. The way I described just doesn't use a spare needle.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

I didn't use a spare needle either. I pulled out my needle with the working yarn as if I was going to start another round, and then slipped 12 stitches on to that needle. Then I knit the next 12 stitches (the stitches right after the stitches I just slipped) on the needle, so I have 24 stitches. Then I pulled the cable so that the last 24 were resting on the cable. So basically, I worked a half, then slipped the other half onto a cable, instead of what I thought I should of done, which was slip 12, then put 24 to rest, then work 12. I know I am a dunce. I am sorry if I am not explaining it right. You are being a wonderfully patient person.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by mrspotter-tru
I didn't use a spare needle either. I pulled out my needle with the working yarn as if I was going to start another round, and then slipped 12 stitches on to that needle. Then I knit the next 12 stitches (the stitches right after the stitches I just slipped) on the needle, so I have 24 stitches. Then I pulled the cable so that the last 24 were resting on the cable. So basically, I worked a half, then slipped the other half onto a cable, instead of what I thought I should of done, which was slip 12, then put 24 to rest, then work 12. I know I am a dunce. I am sorry if I am not explaining it right. You are being a wonderfully patient person.
The trouble I see with the way that you did it (if I'm understanding correctly) is that you still have the working yarn at the end of the round after you slip those first 12 stitches. Then when you go to knit the next 12 stitches you have to bring that working yarn across behind those 12 that you just slipped and you end up forming something like when you make the thumb of a mitten. Those 12 stitches you slipped become a little 'round' of their own and this is not what you want to happen.

I think the best thing to do is rip it back - you kind of have to - and try the way that I described back in my first post. Pull out your back needle to start the next round, but only work the first 12 stitches. Then those 12 and the 12 that preceded it (the last 12 stitches of the previous round) will be the stitches you use for the heel flap. Turn your work around so that the wrong side is facing you with the working yarn coming from the first stitch on the needle as you hold it in your left hand, and pull the loop out between stitch 24 and 25 so that you have 24 stitches on either side of the loop. Then you will start with your heel flap on only the 24 stitches that now have the working yarn, and ignore completely the other 24. They can just rest on the cable of the circular needle.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, now I get it!!!! I was wondering why I had a weird piece of yarn strung across.

So, I am knitting 12, then pulling the cable out at 24 and then the remaining 12 at end are my unworked stitches right? Do I have it? Uh, uh?

I have been working back and forth on the current heel flap, but the yarn that is stretched across was concerning me.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Yep, that yarn across can't be there for it to work properly. You'll need to rip it back, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if you have it though as to which 24 are for the heel flap. Knit 12, then turn your work around so the wrong side is facing you and the working yarn is on the first stitch in the needle that you have in your left hand (you can pull the other needle tip out all the way so that the rest of the stitches slide down onto the cable). Starting with the stitch that has the working yarn, count 24 stitches to the left, including the one with the working yarn. Then pull the loop out at that spot. Those are the 24 that will be the heel flap and the 'bottom' 24 stitches will just stay on the cable until you need them later on for the instep.

Make sense??
Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

So I knit 12 stitches, then turn my work around, so now the working needle that was on the right, is now on the left with 12 knitted stitches, and the stitch with the working yarn is closest to the point. I pull out the right needle, so that all the stitches are on the cable, right? Now I count from the stitch closest to the point on the left needle 24 stitches, right? Then pull the cable out there, right? So I have a free right hand needle, 24 stitches resting on the cable, a pulled loop, then 24 stitches, right?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Exactly!!!!