Old 11-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Idea for Grandma in Nursing Home
I'm making dishcloths for everyone for Christmas gifts. My Grandma was just sent to the nursing home and they don't know if or when she'll ever go back "home." I'd love to make her something simple, but I have no ideas what to do. I made her an afghan for her birthday last month, so that's out of the question. I'm not up for a sweater or anything too hard in such a short time, but I'd like to do something quick and easy to add to her gift like everyone else. (I'm knitting dishcloths in the car while I wait for my son at preschool and when my husband is driving....never while I'm driving....okay, when I get to the stoplight right as it turns red and I know I've got a wait....okay, yeah, in the bank drive through too....But it is plastic needles so they won't kill me if I get stabbed from being rear-ended!)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:44 AM   #2
GrandmaLori
Knitting the Flap

A couple of ideas: I've seen a pattern for a "bed jacket" in a book from the thrift store. It is essentially a cardigan style sweater with 3/4 sleeves, and not too long, that just has ribbon ties at the neck. Also, would she wear a pretty feminine poncho, or cozy slippers, maybe a matching set.
GrandmaLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Lisa Kay
Knitting the Flap

What if you just changed it from a dishcloth for the kitchen to a washcloth for her to use in the bathroom? Maybe include some soap or lotion with it?

Or how about a bath mitt?

Mom's Bath Mitt Pattern

Knit Picks bath mitt

Lisa Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

What about something decorative, a cute doll, felted bowl, or a Christmas tree ornament? Something that will brighten up her room a little...

OR slipper socks! They're my grandma's favorite.

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

How about socks?

Oops... it was already suggested.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

I just made some felt slippers with Malabrigo and they are so comfy and really quick the pattern is from knitting at knoon designs they would make great slipper socks to wear to bed to keep her feet super warm if you wanted her to be able to wear them around though they would need some type of skid resistant bottoms.
blueeyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

How about a pillow? Does she sit up in bed alot?

And now off on a tangent: that slipper socks pattern is great. I want to do the Silver Sock Tutorial soon. Can I combine the two and knit these following the Silver instructions?

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

I think you could use Silver's tutorial to get through the pattern it is a much quicker knit than a basic sock so you can get the hang of turning a heel and all that stuff in record time and then give it a go with some sock yarn.
blueeyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Here is a simple shawl pattern and it looks beautiful. Older ladies love shawls and she could wear it if she is out with family or anything besides using it in the retirement home to keep the chill off!

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...tml?noImages=0
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm making Dandelion's socks for Christmas and they go very fast and very easy to do.. they are also sooo soft and warm!! With kids and chores lol I can whip a pair out in 2 days... I was also thinking a shawl.. with a bulky yarn that would keep her warm and would make for a fast knit.. I know knittingpatterncentral.com has a lot of shawl patterns... or maybe a bed jacket??

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote