Old 11-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
Momma_Jo
1st Leg of the Journey

Depends on the yarn texture; generally, I find that metal needles work for everything. However, I also knit loosely, so I don't mind if my stitches are sliding around the needle, but I can imagine it annoying some people. I, on the other side, hate to have to pull on my stitches to get them to the end of the needle.
Momma_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
cgd
1st Leg of the Journey

I prefer bamboo and some plastic. Of the plastic ones I've tried, I don't like the Crystalite, but I love Boye Balene IIs. I find aluminum needles heavy, and I'm more likely to drop stitches because they're slicker than other materials.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

I'll have to third what MrTea said. I like my Options because they're so slippery, but when you've got needles hanging all over the place, slippery is not so great.
SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I only use metal, can't use plastic at all and haven't ever used wooden.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I find I like metal needles best, even for DPNs, as long as they're not too heavy. Have a pair of US8s that are really heavy and they're dreadful. I am a fairly tight knitter though, so I generally don't have a problem with my stitches falling off my needles, unless there's only one or two stitches left on the needle.

I've a pair of bamboo needles and I have not been able to do anything with them because the yarn just sticks to them and even seems to snag sometimes. I think I might just have a really crappy pair. I bought them on a whim just to try out the new material.

I'm neutral about plastic.
trollgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
craftymom
1st Leg of the Journey

I love my Denise set (resin) and bamboo for DPNs. I have a few metal DPNs and I just don't like them. They feel "cold" in my hands and I just don't like the clicking and scraping sounds.
craftymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #17
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Wood is good for the larger sizes if you don't like plastic.

Also there is a big difference between brands of bamboo needles. The Clover bamboos are MUCH stickier than the Crystal Palace for example. Clovers are way too sticky in my opinion.

Yes, bamboo is good for DPNs not only because they are stickier than metal, but they are also lighter. i.e. less likely to slip out (and then get thrown across the room at high velocity.) Also, if you do get angry, they are less likely to cause harm.

I have never tried plastic, but I have a general aversion to such materials. Although those ones that light up seem like they might be a hoot.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
lissalue
Instepping Out

i love, love, love my denise set!!! of course, the only others i have used are a cheap pair of bamboo size 11 that came with my knitting kit. i can see how they would be good for some yarns.

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #19
jolenel
Ribbing the Cuff

Metal all the way for me! Most of my needles are aluminum, but I have a KP Options set in the mail--it should be on my doorstep when I get home from work today. (Edit: I've been tracking the package like crazy all day, and it's been delivered! Woohoo!)

I have a couple pairs of bamboo and plastic too, but I didn't like them as much. Somehow I like slick needles, even though I'm a medium-to-loose knitter. I even like metal DPNs and haven't had many slipping problems, but I think I tend to knit more tightly on DPNs (to avoid ladders between needles).

My one exception might be with cable needles. I've only used metal cable needles, and they drive me nuts. I need to make a couple wood ones and see if I like them better.

On the needles:
Boulder belt from Knitty (in Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy)
Vogue Knitting Holiday 2006 Twinset (pattern #14 / in Knitpicks Shine Sport / for mom - tank top complete)
Arasaig (from Knitty / in Jaeger Matchmaker 4 ply / for college best friend)
Aran Knit Sampler Afghan (from Lion Brand / in Knitpicks Andean Silk, slate / for meeee!)
...and as always, small projects on the side
jolenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #20
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Oh, a couple of other things to note about bamboo needles.

Bamboo is an extremely hard and durable material, more durable than wood or plastic.

Bamboo needles sizes US#3 and below can bend, especially long straight ones. None of my bamboo DPNs have bent yet, I have used them down to #3. However, I have a pair of #3 straights that look like a boomerang. You can still knit with them if they bend, but it's sort of annoying.

I would suggest metal needles for the really small sizes.