Old 11-17-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Knit in the round, sz 6 mo+ baby hat, in worsted-Pattern?
I have some lovely worsted weight yarn I want to use to knit a baby hat for my 6 months old stepgrandd, and I'd prefer to knit it in the round, as I detest seaming.

All the patterns I have bookmarked use either a lighter weight yarn, or are knit flat then seamed. I am not yet skilled enough to alter patterns to accommodate what I have, so I'd really like to find a pattern which uses what I have.

I'm not terribly picky about the hat itself, except that I don't want a "jester" style. Can anyone help me? :thinking:
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

How's this?

http://www.vintageknits.com/babyhat.html

There's also this, but there is no picture of the finished hat:

http://knitting.about.com/library/blhatadjust.htm

One of the best investments I have made in knitting books (and admittedly I don't take it out often enough) are the books by Ann Budd -- one is The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and the other is The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweaters. In the pattern book there is the formula for making any size hat (mitterns, gloves, scarves and a basic sweater pattern also.) You can do the math and make the hat in any gauge and on any needle size you want. You can check out the books at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Knitters-Handy...-7602519<br />

or at KnitPicks:

http://www.knitpicks.com/books/itemi...books_display#

Hope this helps!

Susan ( I can't seem to make the Amazon link work and I haven't figured out the URL posting thing here completely but you can always do a search.)

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Thank you, zkimom!

The first link is a hat sized for 0-6 months, so I'm afraid it wouldn't be large enough. The baby is 7 months now, and I want it to fit her through the winter.

I'll take a closer look at that second link. I don't do well with the "written word", being a more visual learner. I'm trying to picture in my head how it works when they say to:

Quote:
Start working back and forth because it's so difficult to work circular on a small amount of stitches
then later to:

Quote:
As soon as you can, join the two sides and start working circular. When you join the two sides, knit the first and last stitch of the row together.
In my mind, that seems like there would be a split in the seam for those first several rows which are not joined. I'm sure that must not be the case, since the subsequent instructions don't say anything about doing any seaming at the end, but I just can't quite picture that.

Thank you for the book recommendations, too. I'll add those to my Wish List.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
You will have a little gap there that you can seam up with the tail. They probably don't mention it because you'd see it as you went along.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Quote:
They probably don't mention it because you'd see it as you went along.
And assume, I'm sure, that most people would automatically know what to do.

Thanks, Ingrid.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
zkimom
Working the Gusset

there's more on the hat pattern
Here's how to make the hat pattern fit any size:

New!~ 'Pithy' instructions for making the hat in larger sizes!

What you need to do is get the head measurement for each child. Let's say the one year old has a 25" head. And let's say you are knitting with a worsted weight yarn, gauge is 4 sts=1".

25 X 4 = 100 STS. You'll need to subtract some of these stitches so the hat fits properly (if you knit it the exact same size as the head, it will be too big!) I usually figure about 20% of the stitches is the right amount to subtract; in this example, that's -20 stitches. So you will cast on 80 stitches and work as the original pattern instructions describe. You'll need to make the hat 'deeper' or longer before you start the decreases; here's a link to a site with the average heights and circumferences for children's head sizes:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/head-sizes.html#hat

Decreasing and finishing would be the same.

Hope this helps!

Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Thanks again. I'll check out those baby head sizes, as I have no way of measuring the baby's head.