Old 11-17-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Fetching Convertible Mittens
Hey, more Fetching! These are my first cables. I want to put cables on everything now. I made these from some wool yarn I bought years ago. It used to be purple but I dyed it with cherry kool-aid and now it's a deep burgundy colour.

I'm really happy with them, in spite of the mistake detailed here. They fit me perfectly and are really warm.

I included a picture of my cat (recently spayed) claiming ownership of them.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	flippymitts.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	33527  Click image for larger version

Name:	kittymitts.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	33528  
trollgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
Very nice!!

And pretty kitty!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Terrific! I like the way you altered the pattern to make mittens. (I never quite understood the fingerless concept since my fingers are always the coldest part of my hands. I really like the convertible idea. Those make a lot more sense to me.) Nice KA dying job, too.

Awwww.... what happened to your poor wittle kitty?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Very nice! My daughter lives in MI and likes the convertible ones, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
knitwit2
1st Leg of the Journey

I love your convertible mittens!!! Can you tell us how you did it. I am trying to make the fetching as mittens for my mom. She's in Montana and needs her fingers and thumb covered!!!!

knitwit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by knitwit2
I love your convertible mittens!!! Can you tell us how you did it. I am trying to make the fetching as mittens for my mom. She's in Montana and needs her fingers and thumb covered!!!!
I followed the pattern for Fetching but instead of binding off when it says to, I worked another round, another cable round, and then four more rounds before binding off. This extended the base glove to my second knuckle so the flip-top bit would overlap it.

The flip-top I pretty much made up as I went along, but wrote down instructions so I could repeat it for the second mitten. I picked up 21 stitches across the back of the hand, then cast on 24 and joined it in a round. I picked up 21 stitches because I am weird about symmetry and I wanted purls on both sides where the flippy-top was attached to the glove. Really, you can do whatever you like. Cast on more, pick up more, whatever. Then I just did the cables according to the pattern, knit the 4x1 rib until it seemed long enough, and then started the decreases. Just k2togs at regular intervals, followed by a round where I just knit the knits and purled the purls, and then a round with more k2togs until I had 8 stitches left, then threaded the remaining yarn through the loose stitches and tightened it.

I did have to frog and unknit the flippy-tops a few times until I got what I thought looked nice though.

EDIT: Oh, and I kept knitting the thumb until it was long enough (can't remember how many rows I did), then started decreasing once it was sort of level with the top of my thumb. I can't remember how I decreased it anymore, but it involved just k2tog until it looked right.

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Awwww.... what happened to your poor wittle kitty?
I got her spayed. Don't want any little accidents. Love kittens but am really not prepared (financially or otherwise) to have them. Oddly enough, that's the best picture I've ever taken of her.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
knitwit2
1st Leg of the Journey

Trollgirl,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!! I am going to do these for my mom instead of a regular mitten.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Don't forget to post pics when you're done! It's a fun mitten to make, and not too difficult.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
knitwit2
1st Leg of the Journey

Trollgril,

I am at the part of decreasing for the mitten top. Did you decrease with the 4x1 ribbing or just stockinette decrease? I am knitting these for my mom so I'm just making them as mittens instead of convertible mittens. I really want to knit the convertible mittens for myself. :D

Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I decreased in ribbing. I just made the knit part of the ribbing thinner and thinner until I was knitting in 1x1 rib. I hope that makes sense. I don't know if that's the 'right' way to do it, but that's what I did. And I hope you figured it out over the weekend because I wasn't on the computer and didn't see the post.