Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
hydho71
Casting On

Newbie needs help with basic pattern!
Hi all! I've been lurking around for a few weeks, and you all are simply fabulous!!! Amy's videos got me started and I've knit a scarf and quite a few of grandmas favorite dishcloths!

Heres where the trouble starts...

Just got Mason Dixon and I love,love,love it! Thought I'd start out with the ballband dishcloth but it is a mess and I'm only on the 3rd row!

It's calling for yarn forwards, and yarn backs and I'm in the dark! I know how to do a yarn over, and slip both knit and purlwise...

Anyone know of any videos, or can you explain to me how this is done???

Thanks in advance!
Heidi
hydho71 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Yarn forward is just bringing your yarn to the front between the needles and working the next stitch from there. Yarn back is just bringing the yarn to the back. Sometimes you bring the yarn forward, slip a stitch and put the yarn back--it lets the yarn strand in front of the slipped stitch.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

When it says 'yarn forward' bring your yarn up and between the two needle tips so that it is now at the front of your work. Do the opposite when it says 'yarn back'. A yarn over is an increase where you actually bring the yarn over the right needle as opposed to just bringing the yarn from back to front and vice versa. It will create one stitch and will also create an eyelet. A video for a yarn over can be found on this page. Actually, that page is great for nearly every knitting abbreviation you might come across in basic patterns.

To slip a stitch knitwise, you insert the tip of your right needle into the next stitch on the needle as though you were going to knit it BUT you don't actually knit the stitch, all you do is move the stitch from the left needle to the right. To slip purlwise, you insert the tip of your right needle into the next stitch on the needle as though you were going to purl it but again, you simply just move the stitch from the left needle to the right without actually working it.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
hydho71
Casting On

so wouldn't a yarn back be the same as normal knit????? UGH!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Yes, but if the yarn is in front from the yrn fwd, they may just be telling you when to move it back.

What are the exact instructions for that row, if you're still not clear?

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 11-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
hydho71
Casting On

ROW 1- knit

ROW 2- purl

ROW 3- join b, k4, slip 1 purlwise *k5,, sl 1 purlwise, rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.

ROW 4- k4, yarn forward (yf), slip 1 purlwise, yarn back (yb) . * k5, yf, slip 2 purlwise, yb: rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.

ETC....

thanks for all your help!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

They just want you to have your yarn in front of the slipped stitch. So move it forward between the needles, slip the stitch, and then move it back to knit the next stitches.

IngridKH on Ravelry