Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
jessica555
Ribbing the Cuff

Bamboo Yarn
Has any one worked with bamboo? Is it like a light weight cotten, better for summer items?
When you buy yarn how do you know how many projects are in a skeen?
Why are some sold by weight, and others by the yard Do any of you ever buy more yarn for a prodject than what the pattern calls for...just incase? I know trust the pattern...I do...it's me I am having issues with Once again thanks for your help
jessica555 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-22-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Re: YARN
"Has any one worked with bamboo? Is it like a light weight cotten, better for summer items?"

I am currently knitting my first sock using Regia Bamboo sock yarn. It's 45% bamboo. I'm a newbie and certainly no expert, so I will just tell you what it says on the label which is that bamboo makes the material light & "breathable" (sorry, I'm translating this from german). I assume they mean that it's good for potentially sweaty feet (ewwwww).

"When you buy yarn how do you know how many projects are in a skeen?"

I have found that most online shops list how much yarn you need for sweater sizes, etc. More importantly, most patterns will tell you how much you need. And I think it's a matter of experience too. I bet some of the experienced knitters will tell you that they can calculate how much they'll need through experience.

"Why are some sold by weight, and others by the yard "

I have no idea!

"Do any of you ever buy more yarn for a prodject than what the pattern calls for...just incase? I know trust the pattern...I do...it's me I am having issues with "

For the few projects I have knitted so far I have bought the recommended amount of yarn + one skein. This kept me from being worried throughout the project that I was going to run out of yarn. But that's just me. The first thing I knitted was a scarf. I went to my LYS and had the saleslady help me pick out the yarn. The amount she recommended and sold to me would have knit a scarf to fit around my house. So I have a nice, long scarf, a hat out of the same yarn and one and a half skeins left over. I'll probably make myself some mittens with them one of these days.....

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
jessica555
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you I have only done two patterns for two different scarves... Every time I start to knit again friends and family ask for scarves.....and I get board with those after a while and quit. My goal is to push through the boredom this year, and make a hat and mittens....and I think I want to felt the mittens!
J
jessica555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
mulene
Working the Gusset

I bought 10 balls of Plymouth Royal Bamboo from ebay in the summer. I can't get that yarn here except for ebay. I took a huge risk but you know it was the best risk I've ever taken. It is BEAUTIFUL yarn. So gorgeous and drapes like silk. It was so gorgeous and I want more. I've not finished it but I am making a shell with it - its almost finished but it is SO lovely to work with.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote