Old 11-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
jezzybear
Casting On

NEWBIE QUESTION - Desperately Need Help With Pattern Please!
Hi everyone,
I'm attempting my first proper garment (adult sized!) but want to understand the pattern before I start. I have tried looking these things up with no success. I know that it may seem silly to knit something when I can't understand the pattern but if only I could understand the language i'm sure I can complete the knitting bit!

When work measures 32cm to work the armholes secr. on sides inside 1 stitch, 1 st every 2 rows twice.

Also does bind off mean the same as cast off?

For the neckline bind off the 6 centre stitches and end the two parts seperately; decr. centrewise, inside every 1 st., 1 st. every 4 rows 2 times, 1 st. every 8 rows twice. At the same time when work measure 32cms work the armholes in the same way as the back

Id appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance
jezzybear is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Re: Help With Pattern Please
Originally Posted by jezzybear

When work measures 32cm to work the armholes secr. on sides inside 1 stitch, 1 st every 2 rows twice.
It looks like that means to dec on each end of the row, every other row 2 2x, and to work the decs 1 st in from the edges.

Quote:
Also does bind off mean the same as cast off?

For the neckline bind off the 6 centre stitches and end the two parts seperately; decr. centrewise, inside every 1 st., 1 st. every 4 rows 2 times, 1 st. every 8 rows twice. At the same time when work measure 32cms work the armholes in the same way as the back[/color]

Id appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance
Bind off is the same as cast off. This is the front and it's telling you to BO the 6 center stitches and then work the two sides separately. Dec along the neck edge (again, 1 st in from the edge) every 4th row twice, then every 8th row twice. And at the same time, work the decreases at the armhole edge the same as you did for the back.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
jezzybear
Casting On

Sorry, more questions, just so I have it clear!

The first part means to decrease one stitch at either end of the row, but instead of it being the last stitch on each end, decrease the second to last stitch?!!?

Should I do this by knitting 2 together? And if so would I do this by knitting the third and second last stitches together?

And do I do this every 2nd row?It says to do this until it measures 14cm, which would be about 24 rows - would this amount of decreasing seem correct for an armhole?

This is so brain numbingly confusing for us newbies!

Thanks for the help.
jezzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by jezzybear
Sorry, more questions, just so I have it clear!

The first part means to decrease one stitch at either end of the row, but instead of it being the last stitch on each end, decrease the second to last stitch?!!?

Should I do this by knitting 2 together? And if so would I do this by knitting the third and second last stitches together?
Yes. Some patterns will have you doing the decrease sts one stitch from the end so the end stitch is more even. You can k2Tog at the end; at the beginning of the row a SSK (S1,K1,PSSO) looks better because it slants the other way.

Quote:
And do I do this every 2nd row?It says to do this until it measures 14cm, which would be about 24 rows - would this amount of decreasing seem correct for an armhole?

This is so brain numbingly confusing for us newbies!

Thanks for the help.
Yes that sounds very right for armhole shaping.

And hey, that's what we're all here for!

(unless we're all here because we're not all there...)

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote