View Poll Results: do you use red heart yarn?
Yes 14 12.28%
Yes, i dont spend much on my yarn 5 4.39%
No 35 30.70%
No, red heart is sooo cheap! 11 9.65%
Sometimes, its ok... 49 42.98%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #21
knit-errant
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Doublereeder2
I like their "Luster Sheen" for lacy scarves. It is acrylic, but smooth and a fine weight. Other than that, no I am not a fan. The heavier weights feel too scratchy for my taste.
I don't know how I forgot about Lustersheen, especially when I'm making something with it currently!
knit-errant is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #22
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Like many people I started out knitting with acrylic yarns. It didn't bother me then but after I started using natural fibers I just couldn't go back to the acrylic. There is just something unpleasant about the way it feels when I am knitting with it.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:17 PM   #23
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I've never used Red Heart because when I touch most of it, it feels plastic-y and gross, but that is purely my opinion. Use what's in your budget/reach. They're your projects, don't worry about anything except that knitting them makes you (and any recipients) happy.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #24
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I used Red Heart and other affordable yarns to try new things out. Red Heart does feel kind of rough, but it's not that bad. I'm not that much of a yarn snob. And I've decided to not bother with nice expensive yarns for gifts, unless I know the person will appreciate it. I took my friend to one of the LYSs I frequent, so we could get her yarn for a hat, and she was unhappy that everything was expensive, handwash-only wool. Even though I made her pet some Mmmmalabrigo, she seems unable to get by the mental block that tells her that wool = scratchy. So if she ever gets gifts in future, it will be plastic yarn.. like Softee Chunky or something.

Same goes for my other friends, including the DBF. Not because I don't care, but because I know he'll never remember that it's handwash only.
trollgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #25
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
I'll use Red heart yarn for afghans mostly. but for clothing? eh, I'd rather use superwash wool or other yarns.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #26
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

I think a lot of the bargain acrylic yarns feel horrible to knit with and the finished fabric is nasty feeling too, but that's just my opinion...

There are some expensive natural fiber yarns that feel absolutely terrible too, so maybe it's just me.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #27
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I currently have two rolls of red heart ready to use for a hat for my brother... he and I don't spend much money on each other so I wasn't going to go out and buy any really nice yarn for him. I also learned to knit with it. On the other hand... the store where I work started carrying Paton's merino wool and I pretty much stopped using acrylic unless its a novelty yarn. I guess I have some TLC that I like, and some Simply Soft. but I agree that mostly, Red Heart is just too rough compared to all of the other yarns you can find. besides, who wants to knit with Red Heart when there's all kinds of fun wools to play with? **hugs merino and alpaca yarns**. Still, inexpensive yarn has its uses. Such as cheap hats for annoying little brothers. (by the way, I'm going to knit him one of those Pirates Fairisle hats... so the time I spend on it will make up for the cheap yarn.)
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #28
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by madametj
oh my, i'm embarassed now...i didnt know it was soooo unpopular! some ppl are saying its too scrath, which hasnt been a problem for me since its what i started out with. walmart is just aobut the only place i have to buy yarn, but i think even they have some other brands, though i wouldnt know which to buy. same goes for michaels, but they dont have that gr8 of a knitting supplies selection anyway. i used to have this wonderful stroe called A.C Moore, they had tons of brands there--but super saver was the cheapest so thats what i bought . plus i didnt know which size needle to use with the others.

come to think of it i do remember my mom saying my scarves were to itchy to wear...

hey, but if you guys have any red heart left, and u really hate it that much...u can always send it send it to me!
There is absolutely no need to be embarrassed. I use Red Heart a lot, and have no problems with it at all. Personally, I can't afford $7 and up for a 50 gram ball of yarn. If that makes me less of a knitter, so be it. I can't wear wool, have never tried alpaca (again, the $$$ comes into play), and inexpensive acrylics are what my budget allows.

We all have to do what we have to do...I'd rather use "cheap" yarn and be able to knit than to not be able to knit at all. I will admit, I do get tired of the stigma that seems to follow people who use inexpensive acrylics....kinda like I should sit in the corner and yell "unclean, unclean". But, I'm not doing this to impress anyone...I'm doing it because I enjoy it and can save some bucks by giving handknit gifts.

Someone mentioned the Red Heart being scratchy, and I agree that right out of the skein it is, but I think that is just stuff they put on it like they do yard goods. After a washing or two, I find the afghans nice and cuddly. But, that's just me.

Again, don't apologize and don't be embarrassed. Just enjoy the craft of knitting.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #29
madametj
Working the Gusset

woo-hoo! i'm not alone! at least 12 ppl use red heart and my little poll shows that most ppl use red heart at least sometimes

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #30
jdee
Working the Gusset

I've used Red Heart a lot. It's not my favorite, but I don't especially hate it either.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote