Old 11-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

knit 1 purl 1 bind off
What is the difference between the k1 p1 bind off in Amy's video and the one where you K1 P1 pass stitch over repeat. Is one nicer than the other when finished? I am finishing the v neck of a sweater so it will be noticable
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

The K1P1 bind off that Amy shows produces a very elastic edge. It won't have that 'chain' type look along the edge like a regular bind off does. Personally, I'd just do a regular bind off but in pattern (ie. you still knit the knits and purl the purls while binding off), and use a needle size one larger so that the bind off is a bit looser. You want to be able to get your head through it, afterall!
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
candy
Turning the Heel

Thanks, I have another question. I asked before but I still am not sure. My pattern says: With WS facing, work in K1P1 rib, making sure the stitch BEFORE the stitch marker is worked as a P st. Next and all RS rows. Cont in K1P1 rib as set to 1 st before marker. Work double decrease as follows: slip next 2 sts as if to knit. Knit next st and pass 2 slipped sts over it . Two stitches decreased. Cont as set until bibbing measures 1 inch. cast off all sts in rib.

I am doing it with a circular so I think I need to have a Knit stitch instead of a purl stitch before the stitch marker, right?

When I do the slipping 2 sts I am slipping one stitch on either side of the stitch marker so when I do this the marker gets knitted into the yarn. Where should I put the marker? If I slip the first stitch and take off the marker to slip the second stitch and then Knit the third and psso I don't know where to put the marker back on.

Also, since I am only decreasing on the RS the first row is WS so I knit row 1-5 DEC row 2 and 4. When I finish row 5 I have one inch. Is that enough decreasing? Or should I do one more row so I would dec on row 6?

I have so many dumb questions but I can't figure it out because I have not done a neck like this before.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Worst thing that can happen is that you give it a try and may have to take it out and pick up the stitches again. Trust yourself a little, and give it a try! Bet you'll surprise yourself!
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:30 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Take the marker off, sl p2tog and psso, then put the marker back on. Do you only do this on one row, or several

As to what stitch you have before your marker, it maybe should be purl because it's going to be purled with the next stitch. I dunno, just do what looks good.

sue

PS - that last line is a secret knitting tip
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
candy
Turning the Heel

I have to decrease every RS row, so maybe two or three times.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
candy
Turning the Heel

I did it It is finally finished. Thank you everyone who helped me on my first project. I know I had many, OK millions of questions and you kept answering them. What I had to do for the v neck was make sure the first stitch was a Knit and dec with those three stitches(and forget about the marker) and when I came to it again I had to move over one stitch to the left so that the first stitch would keep being a knit and even on the cast off edge I dec and kept the pattern so now the edge is flat and not fluted. When it is done it looks like the dec goes on an angle to the left. I don't know if anyone else had this question before but that is how it worked for this pattern.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Great! A lot of knitting is just figuring out how it should look, and making it happen. It's good to learn this, that's what makes an experienced knitter.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote