Old 11-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
knitme
Ribbing the Cuff

Socks Bind off (Need Help)
Is there a video online somewhere, where shows how to do an Invisible Bind off? I need good instructions and those online with just pictures confuses me. Please help.

If no video, please can someone explain it to me in great detail. I'm so confused what to do aver the 3rd stitch where the yarn is purled:

I'm not too clear on this:
"Take your needle behind the knit stitch, then between the knit stitch and purl stitch... "
knitme is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I'm not familiar with the invisible bind off. Can you give us more of the directions?
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've never heard of it, either--at least not by that name. If you can post the directions, though, we probably can help.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

According to my book, it's the same as tubular. Here's a video.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
knitme
Ribbing the Cuff

I found the instructions info here: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/b.../06/index.html

I can't see the pictures enough to understand what the instructions are telling me. I'll try the tubular video, thank you, but she has 2 types of yarn there. Do I disregard the orange yarn she's got there? It's kinda confusing me.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

It looks like this bind-off goes by a lot of different names. After doing a little research, I'm pretty sure that Amy's knit-one purl-one bind-off is the same thing as invisible/tubular (scroll down a little). Another name seems to be kitchener bind-off. It seems like most of the tutorials are for k1p1 ribbing, but there is a way to do k2p2 as well.

As for that other video, I think she's just doing it in a contrasting color as part of the design. Just pretend she's using the same color. Seeing her use the two different colors will probably help you keep track of which strand is the working yarn, though, which should make it easier to follow.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 11-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
knitme
Ribbing the Cuff

Amy's knit-one purl-one bind-off doesn't explain what to do after the first 2 stitches. Does anybody know? At the end of part one it just ends, then continues on Part 2 with what seems like brand new stitches to work on.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

It looks like you work those two beginning stitches again when you start the pattern.

What's really cool is Amy's note about how you can separate the knit and purl stitches onto two needles and just work kitchener stitch. No wonder it's also called kitchener bind off! That might be an easier way to do it. Kitchener is on this page. Scroll down to the section on seaming.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
knitme
Ribbing the Cuff

This is all very confusing. I understand some of the instructions to Tubular, Knit 1 Purl 1, and Invisible Cast off, but they all have variations from each other and are not the same.

Which should I use for socks so that the cast off will not leave a huge noticable bind off? I also don't want them to be that stretchy, just a tad.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitme
This is all very confusing. I understand some of the instructions to Tubular, Knit 1 Purl 1, and Invisible Cast off, but they all have variations from each other and are not the same.
Hm. Sorry I didn't realize they were showing different variations. It's a bind-off that I've been meaning to learn anyway, so let me try it out and get back to you -- probably won't be until later today, though. (I know this is a highly regarded bind-off for ribbing so now that we've figured out some alternate names for it, maybe others will be able to help too.)

Originally Posted by knitme
Which should I use for socks so that the cast off will not leave a huge noticable bind off? I also don't want them to be that stretchy, just a tad.
There are lots of resources that give suggestions for stetchy bind-offs for socks, but it sounds like the typical ones are too stretchy for you. I'll have to defer to others with more experience on that question. I've personally been using EZ's sewn cast off for socks after I saw it recommended by several people online, but then I recently read somewhere that it's not good for rib because it doesn't match well. I didn't think it looked too bad, although now that I look at it again, I guess it does seem pretty conspicuous...

Maybe if you go back to your original post and change your subject line to something about sock bind-offs, more sock-knitters will notice it and be able to offer advice. I have a feeling that a lot of people are just not familar with the term "invisible bind off."