Old 11-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
Caroline
Casting On

Caroline 's an I.T. failure!!!
Thanks for the kindly replies to my first (well, second really 'cos I lost the actual first) post. I apologise in advance for any gaffe or failure in etiquette..I don't really know how to talk to people over the internet..but I'm sure I'll learn.
And I'm not sure how to make individual replies ..so here is a collective one..
I'm from the right side of the Pennine's, too, Limey (Rochdale).I just live in exile in Yorkshire. Sobering thought..I've lived in Yorkshire longer than I lived in Lancashire.
The reason for my rather complicated first project was that I had lusted so long over the beautiful Gansies that are sold (at rather frightening prices) on the East Coast of England that my husband( the 'longsuffering' type, who stands and sighs outside yarn stores!) finally bought me the 'seaman's iron' (worsted wool), 'wires' (long dpns, size 2mm) and the book of traditional patterns by Gladys Thomson...so I had to get on and make it!!
I am fluent in Frog, because I ripped the jumper countless times, and I eventually got wise and replaced the wires with a circular needle.Sometimes I hated the project , but then I grew to love it. I didn't finish the gansey until I was recuperating after a hysterectomy, but now I wear it with pride and have knitted another two since.
My mother and my aunt were both magnificent knitters. I wish I had shared their enthusiasm whilst they were around. But I have their needles, and some of their old favourite patterns. So I feel some sense of continuity.
I love this site already.. Amy, the videos are splendid. I'm experimenting with magic loop knitting..Maybe I'll do my next pair of socks this way.
If anyone had told me, years ago that I would be excited about knitting socks, I wouldn't have believed them.But I do so love knitting now, and knitting socks particularly. Has anyone read Richard Rutt's History of Hand Knitting? It's a really wonderful book, but he says 'Today (1980s) [hand knitted socks] can hardly be seen, and only the old can remember how to turn a heel without referring to a book...Stockings were always dull work.Today's knitter expects more pleasure from the craft.'
O, Bishop Rutt, how wrong you were.

I'm off to turn another heel!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry you had troubles with your first post--it has happened to all of us.

If you want to post a reply to a particular topic, click on the "post reply" and a screen will come up for you to use.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
AmandaC
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to AmandaC
Hi Caroline

Don't worry you'll get the hang of it. I'm in the UK too - down in Berkshire.

Can't wait to see pictures of your jumpers.

TTFN
Askew - Rowan Summer Tweed - Rush - well... off the needles but needs to be blocked and seamed
Monkey socks - Lisa Souza - Mars Quake

LAST FINISHED:
Anthropologie inspired capelet - mmmmMalabrigo chunky - hummingbird
Simple Knitted Bodice - Glampyre - KP Andrean Silk - Olive
Rowan - Hero Jumper - Rowan Denim
MY MASTER'S SOCK 2 - Lisa Souza - Lime & Violet

I'm toftie
AmandaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Angelia

Hello again, Caroline!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Limey
Turning the Heel

IT
Hi Caroline

It was GREAT TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE FROM LANCASHIRE Chuffed!

I'm a Pie and it's also great that you've joined this site, so that sometimes I can speak English to someone - I can carry on saying 'shop' instead of 'store' and 'wool' instead of 'yarn' and holding a long knitting needle under my arm won't seem so crazy to you.

So, let's see - there's you, me, AmandaC, Mulene, Fluffy Pechey - that's at least five of us Brits

If we carry on at this rate, we'll soon have the Americans outnumbered - five of us and only 5,000 of them.

I don't know about your relatives being brilliant knitters but you ain't doing too badly yourself, turning out Ganseys and socks - nearest I get to a woollen sock is BHS.

Anyway, I'll stop wittering, except to say that you needn't worry at all about getting the hang of this site (some of us have been trying for years and ain't cracked it yet) - the only thing not to do is to sit there with a knitting problem and not ask for help on here.

Everybody tries to help each other and if they don't know the answers, they will point you in the direction of someone who does.

Happy Knitting and Welcome again!

All the Best
Limey

Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Welcome Caroline!!! I look forward to seeing pics of your work, and I think we're all fluent in frog

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote