Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
booskibabe
Knitting the Flap

desinging a raglan for narrow shoulders
I am designing my own sweater (my very first!) I thought I had my math right, but when trying it on (I'm doing it in the round, top to bottom) there was a lot of extra fabric at the chest - prob about 3 inches. My mom said it's because I have narrow shoulders. So how do I adjust for that? Thanks!
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

You could try changing your rate of increasing so that you increase less often -- that way it won't get as wide as fast.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
booskibabe
Knitting the Flap

On the body side you mean? My sleeves were actually too narrow. God figure. Do you think I could allot more stitches to the sleeves and less to the body when I start? Would that fix the problem? I've been reworking out my math, and I think if I increase faster on the sleeves and slower on the body it will work. Does anyone have experience with this? What would be the best option, or should I use both ideas?
Oh, and thanks for the help!
Old 11-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Oh, if that's the case, then I think you could just move some of the body stitches to the sleeves -- that should make the body narrower and the sleeves wider.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
booskibabe
Knitting the Flap

Thanks I'll try that. Silly me for not thinking of that sooner.