Old 11-25-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
Tasha
Casting On

Felted Rose Bag Pattern from Nicky Epstein's Knitted Flowers
Has anyone done this pattern? It is the felted trellis rose bag pattern. I'm so confused in the middle of this thing. I've started over 3 times and just keep coming to the same problem at the exact same spot. It's very hard to describe, so I was wondering if someone out there is familiar with this pattern. Thanks!!!
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
I'm moving this question to the How To forum and hopefully someone will be able to help out!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Tasha
Casting On

Okay, thank you.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I don't have this book, but if you describe where you're having the trouble, then maybe we can help.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

http://www.vogueknitting.com/correct...-flowers.shtml

There are some errata for this book too!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 AM   #6
Tasha
Casting On

Okay, I am going to try to explain it and hope it makes sense. It's a pretty complicated pattern, at least it is to me.

I'm having trouble with decreasing where it says to on this trellis pattern. Here is the previous row:

With A, P1, *P1 Wrapping yarn twice, P1, SL 3 WYIF, P1, P1 Wrapping yarn twice, P1; Rep from * to end.

After I finish this row, it says to "cont in pattern. Dec 1 st each side on the next row," and goes on to some more instructions for later. So, here is my next row that I am trying to decrease my 1 st on each side:

With B, K1 *SL 1 WYIB Dropping extra wrap, K5, SL 1 WYIB Dropping extra wrap, K1; rep from * to end.

Here is where I immediately run into problems. If I decrease here at the beginning of the row, I have only 1 K st to work with for my decrease, so in order to decrease (the instructions for dec in the back of this book are to K 2 together), I have to knit 2 together using that wrap that I am supposed to be dropping. Therefore, this throws off the whole rest of this row's pattern because I have no wrap to drop for that first part. I knit into it to decrease and then can't follow the pattern from there. If I check at the bottom of the row where I would place the 2nd decrease, there are 2 K stitches there that I can K2 together for my decrease on that side, so I will be fine there. It's just that 1st decrease that is throwing me off.

I hope that makes sense. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I've taken this problem to my knitting instructor and she's even stumped. The pattern is very vague in the middle where it talks abou the decreases, so that could be part of the problem here.

Anyway, thanks for any help!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
Tasha
Casting On

This pattern apparently was also featured in Vogue Knitting magazine in the winter 2004/2005 issue. I don't have access to this issue, but I wonder if that pattern by chance goes into more detail than the one from this book. If anyone has access to that pattern from this issue of the magazine, could they please let me know? I'd like to just see if the instructions are the same.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
pursesbybarb4u
Ribbing the Cuff

Nicky Epstein's Lattice Purse Pattern
HELP! I did an extensive search on Google to see if anyone is having the same problem I am having with the Lattice Rose purse pattern featured in Nicky Epstein's Knitted Flowers. Lo and behold! I found someone who posted on this forum and described the same problem I am having - and I mean EXACTLY the same problem! So, it's not just me! I never could find an answer posted, so whoever did post it, please, please, please help. Did you get an answer? OR, how did you finally solve the problem???? I am going nuts. Maybe it would just be easier to go down a needle size for each decrease row instead of trying to make something out of this nightmare of decreases. Slipped stitches and decreases at the same time do not mix.

Thanks to anyone for an answer to this dilema!

Barb
pursesbybarb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

Why not ask her yourself? :
http://nickyepstein.com/node/8
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
pursesbybarb4u
Ribbing the Cuff

Nicky Epstein
Thanks for the link to ask Nicky myself. However, I went there and sent an email. Then was told it would be at least 3 to 4 weeks before they would respond - at the earliest. Now what knitter do you know that could wait that long to continue a project???

If anyone else can help, then please do!

Thanks, Barb
pursesbybarb4u is offline   Reply With Quote