Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
knitternewbie
Casting On

Pattern question from beginner!
I'm very new to knitting!!

This is what my pattern says (it's a sweater):
Shape Raglan: Bind off 3 sts at the beginning of the next 2 rows. Row 1: k2, skp, knit to last 4 sts, ssk, k2. Row 2: purl. Repeat the last 2 rows until 19 sts remain, ending with a right side row. Work 3 rows even. Bind off loosely.

A couple of questions. Question one- is "bind off 3 sts" the same as 3 skps (skp, skp, skp)?

Question two- so for Row 1, do I bind of 3 sts (so I think that means 3 skps), then follow the instructions for Row 1? So do I really do: skp, skp, skp, k2, skp, knit to last 4 sts, skk, k2 (so follow instructions for Row 1 but add 3 skps to the beginning of it for rows 1 and 2)? Then for Row 2, I do: skp, skp, skp purl. ??? After, that follow just the instructions for rows but without the 3 extra skps??

I understand what each instruction means, but not sure how to put it all together....

Thank you!!
knitternewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
A couple of questions. Question one- is "bind off 3 sts" the same as 3 skps (skp, skp, skp)?
No. It's binding off 3 sts the same as you would at the end of your knitting. It would be for the undearm part of the sweater.

Quote:
Question two- so for Row 1, do I bind of 3 sts (so I think that means 3 skps), then follow the instructions for Row 1? So do I really do: skp, skp, skp, k2, skp, knit to last 4 sts, skk, k2 (so follow instructions for Row 1 but add 3 skps to the beginning of it for rows 1 and 2)? Then for Row 2, I do: skp, skp, skp purl. ??? After, that follow just the instructions for rows but without the 3 extra skps??
Again, BO 3 is not the same as skp 3 times. Do exactly like the pattern says: BO 3 sts, first on the knit row, then the purl row. On the next row after that (actually the 3rd row of the armhole shaping), do the decreases which are the SKPs and the SSKs. The following row is plain purl. Then you do another dec row on the knit row, followed by a purl row until 19 sts are left.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
knitternewbie
Casting On

Hmmm... okay, I'll guess I'll find out exactly what binding off is!! Thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
knitternewbie
Casting On

I watched the binding off video- and it looks like she's knitting one stitch, knitting another stitch, and moving the bottom one over the top one.

And skp is very similar, right? It's slip off one stitch to the other needle, knit one stich, and then moving the bottom one over the top one.

Is that the difference?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

To bind off 3 stitches.....knit the first 2 stitches of the row as usual, now pass the first stitch on the right needle (the one furthest from the needle tip) over the second stitch and off the needle. You have one stitch left on the right needle. Now, knit the next stitch on the left needle and again pass the first stitch on the right needle over the second stitch and off the needle. You still have just one stitch on the right needle and you have now bound off TWO stitches. Do the above process one more time, and that will complete binding off 3 stitches. With the one stitch on the right needle you will then proceed with the rest of the row's isntructions.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I guess that the first stitch that you bind off is pretty much the same as a skp (except that you don't slip the first stitch, you knit it) but after that you just knit one additional stitch from the left needle to bind off the next stitch rather than slip, knit, pass like you would for a skp. Make sense?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
knitternewbie
Casting On

Okay, I think I got it.

So binding off = knit one, knit one more, pass bottom stitch over the first.

To bind 3 sts, I complete above steps until I have passed bottom stitch over the top stitch THREE times. Then continue on with directions for Row 1.

Does that sound right?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
knitternewbie
Casting On

Oh- and I get that I only knit one additional stich for additional bind off as I already have one stitch on my needle.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

You got it now! :D
Old 11-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
knitternewbie
Casting On

Thanks so much for your help!