Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
candicane
Working the Gusset

Will you be seeing this woman in person at Christmas? Not to sound like the Grinch, but is a gift really necessary? I would talk to your BIL and get his opinion. Sometimes I need a reality check as to who I "need" to give gifts to.

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #12
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Oh, I thought of another one. A small box of truffles (the candy; not the fungi), is almost always well-received. There are very few people who don't like chocolate. You can check with BIL to make sure she's not one of those poor, unfortunate souls who's allergic.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #13
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Chocolate is always good.

Can you ask your brother a few questions about her likes and dislikes? That's what I would do.

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #14
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Oh, I thought of another one. A small box of truffles (the candy; not the fungi), is almost always well-received. There are very few people who don't like chocolate. You can check with BIL to make sure she's not one of those poor, unfortunate souls who's allergic.
And if you don't give it to her, you have chocolate for yourself.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #15
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by candicane
Will you be seeing this woman in person at Christmas? Not to sound like the Grinch, but is a gift really necessary? I would talk to your BIL and get his opinion. Sometimes I need a reality check as to who I "need" to give gifts to.candice
Candi--you ask a very legitimate question which isn't "grinchy" . I do believe we will probably see her at Christmas, so I wanted to be prepared with something thoughtful yet relatively inexpensive, and not too personal because I didn't want her to get offended or scared off if we were too personal. I didn't want to knit anything really major because she may not like it (I don't know what her favorite color(s) is/are, or what her taste is) and I didn't want to go through the time and trouble of knitting something if she wouldn't like or appreciate it. Some people just don't like handmade gifts (I'm not one of them--I LOVE handmade gifts!!!) and don't appreciate the time and work it takes to make something handmade.

These are all really great ideas, and I appreciate all of your responses.

At this point, based on the responses, some bath/body products with some candles, maybe topped off with a small box of chocolates might be a nice gift I think. We have a nice chocolate factory here nearby where I live that has awesome chocolates; maybe that would make it a little bit more fancy-schmancy? Plus, I can pick up something for me too while I'm there! ha ha ha She's a single mom so I think it might be nice to get something a little bit pampering for her. Thanks everybody!

Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
I think you ought to buy her a few books. "Planning the perfect wedding in 10 days or less" and "Raising perfect children". Then you'd find out how serious the relationship is.....
Carmen, that's very bad! They haven't been dating very long at all, only a couple of months, but things seem kind of serious. I just didn't want to get anything too major because I didn't want to assume that they were more involved than they really are, and then I'd either wind up embarrasing her or embarrasing myself by my assumptions.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #16
lissalue
Instepping Out

not to add on more for you to buy, but you said she is a single mom, will her child/children be coming also? if so, have you gotten them something? you wouldn't want them to feel left out, especially at christmas. I have a stepsister who is always dating someone new so we always keep a few gifts around in case the person has kids and they show up so they asre included also. just a thought.

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #17
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by lissalue
not to add on more for you to buy, but you said she is a single mom, will her child/children be coming also? if so, have you gotten them something?
Lisa, I'm sure her daughter will be coming too, but she's be easy to buy for because she's pretty little...I kind of had some ideas already in mind for her but was unsure of what to buy for her mom.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Another versatile gift is a nice teacup with an assortment of teas, coffees, or hot chocolate mixes.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #19
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

Hmm... not to be a downer on everyone else's ideas, but I have enough smelly lotion to last a lifetime.

Do you know if she drinks coffee? You could always get her an electric grinder and some yummy coffee beans.
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #20
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by SandraEllen
Hmm... not to be a downer on everyone else's ideas, but I have enough smelly lotion to last a lifetime.

Do you know if she drinks coffee? You could always get her an electric grinder and some yummy coffee beans.
Warning: if she's a serious coffee drinker, a grinder might not be a good idea -- true coffee geeks use mills. If she happens to be an espresso afficianado, an "acceptable" electric coffee mill will start at close to $300, though a decent manual one can be gotten for under $70. I'd stay away from coffee for that reason. It's something that some people take very seriously. Anyway, if she's a coffee geek, she'll already have the gear, and will have her favorite beans, if she doesn't roast them herself.

I was thinking the same thing about the lotion, but didn't know whether I was typical or not.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote