Old 11-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Dumbest knitting mistake you've made
With all the disheartened newbies lately, I thought it would be fun to see how many crazy knitting mistakes some of us have made. For some, it will be a trip down memory lane, for others it will simply be looking back at yesterday.
I'll start, as mentioned in another thread, I bought yarn for a sweater at Joann's and failed to check dye lot. I now have a multicolored sweater. Sweater looks good from a distance but there's no way I can wear it out in public.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

I once tried to substitute a bulky yarn for a DK yarn in a stuffed animal pattern. I got days into it before I realized that the end product was going to be life sized.

That was pretty dumb. Live and learn.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I did the exact same thing this summer. I knitted the sleeves first, then the body. I didn't notice that one of the sleeves was darker half-way up. It didn't show up until I took it outside in the sun to sew the sleeves on. It looked as if I had dunked my one arm in water up to the elbow. It was the bottom of the sleeve, too, so I had to do the whole thing over.

Another comedy of errors was a Fair Isle that I did. First, after several inches I realized that I hadn't followed the chart right and had to take that all out. Then I got up to the chest and just couldn't center the motif on the back and front correctly--I was off by a pattern repeat and had to take the entire thing out. It's a good thing, too, though. I tried it on when I got it off the needles and it was waaaay too small. I love the sweater now, though!

Another had sleeves that would have fit The Hulk. They were knit on, so I had to take them out and re-knit.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
My dumbest, and the one I continue to make, is not changing needle sizes after doing ribbing. I'll get halfway done with a sweater and it will just seem small, and then I will run around the house cursing and making my husband rip it out.

Another one I do is start knitting with the tail of my cast on. Doh!

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
ummm...Buying Red Heart?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I was knitting in the round for a baby all over-warm-thingy. (I don't know what the terminology is. It has hoods and sleeves and a drawstring at the feet.) First, there was a knot in the yarn, so I cut out the knot and joined the yarn. And got a few rounds up and realized I had too many stitches, and it was in Baby Homespun, so I couldn't just frog back to the mistake because I was having a hard time telling stitches apart.

So I frogged it, cast on, and joined it upside down. Got about 6 inches before I realized that it was moebius style. Ripped it back, and cast on again.

I'm up to the armholes now, and just hoping I don't do anything else stupid. I might cry.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

I bought about $60 worth of Homespun to make a cabled throw blanket.

I was having such a hard time working with it. It was splitty and wanted to knot around itself, and it was so fuzzy-odd that I couldn't see the cable pattern I was working on.

It was only after I got about 5 inches done on the first strip that it occurred to me to do a search on the forum to see what other knitters thought about it.

Imagine my relief to discover that Homespun has about a 90% hatred rating around here (apologies to the folks who actually enjoy working with it, I know you're here too).

Thankfully, I'd saved the receipt!

Lesson learned: solicit opinions before buying yarn!

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

One thing that I can't seem to stop myself from doing is continuously frogging and restarting a project. I invariably end up with a worse looking piece since yarn has this funny tendency to get really tatty and splitty after it's been reworked say, a half-dozen times. What makes it even worse is that sometimes, if it's a very thin yarn (as for socks), it becomes so crimped after frogging that I'll have to wet and straighten it before starting again because if I don't, the tension will be all goofy. Oh yeah. Here's a good one -- with one particular yarn that I used recently, a few bits of tweed would come off every time I frogged, so the beginning part of the piece, which had been reworked the most, was noticeability "balder" than the rest of it. I actually ending up doing some "transplanting" to even it out.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
My first sweater was for my granddaughter, age 11 months. I listened to a few "experts" as to how to read the pattern to size, instead of actually putting the inches of the thing down and then measuring said granddaughter. (the experts didn't have children) Well, when it was finished, her mother could have worn it had she not been breast feeding.

My son-in-law just looked at it and said it was nice, my daughter lol for several minutes. Then said "I'll keep it for her when she's in Jr. High mom, "

The hours I poured into that thing, lol Oh well, from now on, I always write down the measurements, and then look to see how the size equates to actually clothing sizes. lol
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
1to1
Turning the Heel

Cutting the wrong yarn
This is nothing major but after knitting a few rows, the long tail was in the way so I cut it, or so I though--I had cut the working yarn.
1to1 is offline   Reply With Quote