Old 11-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
Lieke
Working the Gusset

I was wondering... (question for sock-knitters)
I was wondering...

Since sock-knitting is going really well (I've almost finished another sock and really like it), but I don't like the feeling of 100% acrylic on my feet (it gives me blisters) I was wondering if I could use a cotton/acrylic blend. I still haven't found the ideal sockyarn in the Netherlands, so I'm still trying some alternatives. So I wondered if a blend with cotton and acrylic would keep it's shape.

Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
One of the ladies in the sock class I taught knit her socks with GGH's Bali. She LOVES them! Its DK wt, machine washable, what more couldja ask for?
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Here's a list of non-wooly sock yarns, which includes a lot of cotton blends. In general, she suggests going for blends with elastic/lycra rather than acrylic for the best memory, though she does list some that are cotton/acrylic.

Oops. I just went back to look for an old thread about the same topic, and saw that you were the OP for that discussion. So you've already seen grumperina's list. Oh well. Maybe she's updated it since last time.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
Chel
Turning the Heel

Lieke, I found a website you might be interested in. Let me know how it works out. www.wolhalla.nl

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

In the Netherlands? Are you kidding? They have some of the BEST sock yarn and at better prices than we can get them here in the states. If shipping wasn't so high, I'd always be ordering from here:

http://www.astridsdutchobsessions.co...ts/default.asp

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mwedzi
In the Netherlands? Are you kidding? They have some of the BEST sock yarn and at better prices than we can get them here in the states. If shipping wasn't so high, I'd always be ordering from here:

I think that a big part of the problem is that she is allergic to wool (I know this from a previous post). Even cotton sock yarns usually have wool in them.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Originally Posted by mwedzi

I think that a big part of the problem is that she is allergic to wool (I know this from a previous post). Even cotton sock yarns usually have wool in them.
oooooh.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Lieke
Working the Gusset

yup, I'm terribly allergic to wool, otherwise there wouldn't be a problem. I can't even wear wool on my feet or knit with it, so I need a good alternative. In my old tread I've received some options, but they are not available in the Netherlands. That's the main problem. I went to my LYS, and they told me that sometimes the do have sock yarns without wool, but not very often and not at the moment, so that's why I knit with acrylic. I've just finished the first sock of my second pair with a short row heel and I really like it. I just don't want to use 100% acrylic, and cotton with elastic or with lycra isn't available in the Netherlands. That's the reason of my question, but since someone has good experience with that, I might give it a try and see for myself wether it works out or not.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #9
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Chel
Lieke, I found a website you might be interested in. Let me know how it works out. www.wolhalla.nl
I know wolhalla, but unfortuately they mostly sell wool. All their sock yarns are with wool. (mostly a woolblend, but even 1% wool makes me itchy)

But I really love their site, they've got some great sock patterns. My first pair of socks was with the wolhalla-pattern and the pair I'm working on now is mostly with that pattern, only a different heel.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway. It IS a great website.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Here's a list of non-wooly sock yarns, which includes a lot of cotton blends. In general, she suggests going for blends with elastic/lycra rather than acrylic for the best memory, though she does list some that are cotton/acrylic.

Oops. I just went back to look for an old thread about the same topic, and saw that you were the OP for that discussion. So you've already seen grumperina's list. Oh well. Maybe she's updated it since last time.
I know the list, but unfortunately haven't found any of those yarns in the Netherlands. But thanks anyway, I took a look at the acrylic/cotton blends and since my feet aren't hot at all, I might give it a try. I think I'll go to a yarn shop soon and buy myself some cotton/acrylic blend. I'll keep you all informed.