Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #31
KnittinKnots
Ribbing the Cuff

Anyone from NM still here?
Just found this thread and I'm excited - I'm in Las Cruces. Does anyone post anymore?

OTN: Chemo Cap, sweater, diagonal squares scarf, dishcloth:

Finished: 5 scarves, 12 chemo caps, scarf for dd and my first shrug (where I actually had to figure out how to read a pattern!)
KnittinKnots is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 AM   #32
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

Hi, I'm in Edgewood (east of Albuquerque). I have been really busy with craft shows, so I'm catching up on the other threads.
Angel
Sewing Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #33
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Hey you NM KHers, I'm planning a trip to NM maybe in the summer and I'd like to know where a single lady (maybe with her beagle) on a budget can stay and have fun. Are NM cities safe for single women? Thanks in advance.

Claire

My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest

nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #34
thalia326
Ribbing the Cuff

Nadja, here's a link for dog friendly places in Albuquerque. Stay away from the Motel 6's and Super 8's though!

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...uquerque.shtml

I lived in Albuquerque for a while and I loved it. I never had a problem as a single woman insofar as safety. Being streetwise helps, but that goes for anywhere you visit. Nob Hill is a nice area with plenty of shops and restaurants (I used to manage Scalo, one of the restaurants in NH) and downtown was coming into its own as of the time I moved a few years ago.

And most of all, enjoy the sunsets there...they're GORGEOUS! I really miss them :'( I live in England...I just miss the sun!

In Line: sweater for the hubby
thalia326 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thalia326 For This Useful Post:
nadja la claire (01-11-2008)
Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #35
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by thalia326 View Post
Nadja, here's a link for dog friendly places in Albuquerque. Stay away from the Motel 6's and Super 8's though!

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...uquerque.shtml

I lived in Albuquerque for a while and I loved it. I never had a problem as a single woman insofar as safety. Being streetwise helps, but that goes for anywhere you visit. Nob Hill is a nice area with plenty of shops and restaurants (I used to manage Scalo, one of the restaurants in NH) and downtown was coming into its own as of the time I moved a few years ago.

And most of all, enjoy the sunsets there...they're GORGEOUS! I really miss them :'( I live in England...I just miss the sun!
Thankyou so much!!!! What is the Balloon Fiesta? I found some pretty good rates. Thank goodness I'm a AAA member. The La Quinta chain sounds good and so does the Brittania and the Plaza. I may be able to leave my baby with someone for the duration of my trip but I'd really like to bring her with me because I don't know how long I'm going to be gone and she'd really miss me and I'd miss her. Thanks again.

Claire

Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #36
thalia326
Ribbing the Cuff

Ah, the Balloon Fiesta. I miss that too. It's held every October and is simply fantastic. People come from all over, both with their balloons and to witness the spectacle so hotels are usually booked far in advance.

Here's a link... http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

Have a great time and if you happen into Starbucks in Nob Hill, tell 'em I said hello (I used to work there too).

In Line: sweater for the hubby
thalia326 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thalia326 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #37
KnittinKnots
Ribbing the Cuff

The Land of Enchantment
Hi!

I'm in Las Cruces and that is in the southern part of NM. I have lived in both the north and south and I prefer the north (mostly because it gets all the snow and has more - MUCH MORE mountains).

Las Cruces is the 2nd largest town in New Mexico, but we are largely forgotten by the rest of the state. Oh well.... Anyway, Las Cruces is a friendly town. We don't have as many things to see and do and we have a more "small town" mentality. We do have one yarn shop - Unravel. We also have a couple of quilting stores. There are a lot of chain motels/hotels here (Hampton, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn). Don't know if you're looking for more of a mom and pop place to stay or a chain.

The neatest part of Las Cruces is that we are relatively close to the mountains. Ruidoso is only about 1.5 hours away. White Sands National Monument is about 45 miles away. Las Cruces has a farmer's market on Saturdays and there is a lot of local crafts and produce. The best part is the Mexican food. I grew up eating Italian and Mexican - thank goodness I can cook the Italian. We have some "to die for" locally owned restaurants. Some are off the beaten path and they are usually the best. If you're not used to the heat of the chile, order the mild. Las Cruces does have a web site. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure you can do a search on the web.

Don't know if that helps at all. If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to contact me.

Finished: 5 scarves, 12 chemo caps, scarf for dd and my first shrug (where I actually had to figure out how to read a pattern!)
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittinKnots For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #38
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KnittinKnots View Post
Hi!

I'm in Las Cruces and that is in the southern part of NM. I have lived in both the north and south and I prefer the north (mostly because it gets all the snow and has more - MUCH MORE mountains).

Las Cruces is the 2nd largest town in New Mexico, but we are largely forgotten by the rest of the state. Oh well.... Anyway, Las Cruces is a friendly town. We don't have as many things to see and do and we have a more "small town" mentality. We do have one yarn shop - Unravel. We also have a couple of quilting stores. There are a lot of chain motels/hotels here (Hampton, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn). Don't know if you're looking for more of a mom and pop place to stay or a chain.

The neatest part of Las Cruces is that we are relatively close to the mountains. Ruidoso is only about 1.5 hours away. White Sands National Monument is about 45 miles away. Las Cruces has a farmer's market on Saturdays and there is a lot of local crafts and produce. The best part is the Mexican food. I grew up eating Italian and Mexican - thank goodness I can cook the Italian. We have some "to die for" locally owned restaurants. Some are off the beaten path and they are usually the best. If you're not used to the heat of the chile, order the mild. Las Cruces does have a web site. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure you can do a search on the web.

Don't know if that helps at all. If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to contact me.
Thanks for the post it does help. Actually Las Cruces is one of the cities I wanted to go to. I don't really know why I guess I kind of like the name but also on the NM site it says that Las Cruces is an agricultural area and I like fresh, organic veggies. I also love real Mexican food not that Chichi's, Taco Bell junk. If I make it to NM maybe I'll come calling for some Italian cooking. Just kidding.

Claire

Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #39
KnittinKnots
Ribbing the Cuff

LOL - love fresh organic veggies? We actually sell them at our local farmer's market. That is my job! I was working part time at my daughter's school to cover the tuition, which it wasn't doing. The teacher I worked with moved and I decided to move on. I quit that job and started doing the farmer's market full time. I really enjoy it - it's a lot of work tho. I'm out picking at least 4 days out of 7. I also sell to a local grocery store in town, so knitting is a much sought after respite for me.