Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
For "curvy" gals, what patterns/books work best?
I used to be an extremely busty size 10, but being married and a mommy seems to have affected my metabolism! Now I'm anywhere from a 16-20, and I'm having the hardest time finding patterns! I looked at "Big Girl Knits," and not a one of those patterns was flattering on the girls wearing them! OK, not exclusively true--there were two sweaters I liked, but I'd have to be willing to bare the girls!! I'm loving "Knitting Nature" because the sweaters go up to a 48-52" bust, which is perfect. Doesn't look like Norah Gaughan has any other books, though. What are the rest of you using?
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

From your post and the list of OTN and FO you have, you sound like you might be up to a challenge.

I also belong to the Yahoo Group Ample Knitters. Lots of the women in the group have successfully upsized patterns. I've learned a lot just by reading the messages, but if you are interested, particularly if you want to knit something from an ordinary book, you might investigate that group. I'm sure you could get whatever help you needed from some pretty savvy knitters.

Then you wouldn't have to just find ample patterns, you could upscale whatever strikes your fancy.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:24 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
They have a website too, with loads of pictures and some patterns. You could check that out too. www.ampleknitters.com, I believe...

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
mulene
Working the Gusset

Ample knitters list on Yahoo is an excellent resource. I liked BGK and I made Bombshell from it. I also like White Lies designs and I am LOVING stitch Diva's Sahara pattern - they have others there that go up to bigger sizes too ( http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInf...ductid=SDS-031 ). Also Interweave knits seems to have patterns going into larger sizes too.

You can always adapt a pattern you love using short row shaping etc. BGK is great for info on how to do that.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote