Old 11-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Knitting tranquilizer?
Ok, am I the only one that has this problem?

I am knitting an afghan for DH. It's huge and it's in garter and stockinette stripes (so very boring). Well, no matter when I start knitting it, about 2 rows in, I start nodding off. And I mean that literally. I get the whole drooping-eyelids, head-nodding thing going. I know knitting is supposed to be relaxing, but this is ridiculous.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Maybe that's your body telling you to go to bed early and get a lot of sleep so you can knit more later! I sometimes get sleepy when I knit as well, and I've found that taking a snooze and then coming back to the project later helps me get more done.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Sooze
Ribbing the Cuff

In my case
This happens to me when I pick up an activity (like reading knitting etc) after not having done it for a long time...then, after a coupla weeks of 'nodding off in 3 minutes' this seemed to "wear off' and the activity actually gave me a little boost!

I think at first, I just needed to relax so much that the knitting was putting me to sleep, and then, in the long run, it helped calm me down enough to knit, and read patterns etc...

I really do believe it affect me not only at the time I am doing it...but at life in general, and the longer time I have been doing it for, the more enjoyment that comes...

Perhaps this is true with you? Ride it out...see what happens, I have a feeling this will go away with time...think?
Sooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
Sooze
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh yea, one other thing...
I am trying out listening to audio books while I knit now..and once I get into a story, it seems to help keep me going and a LOT of knitters drink coffee or tea, and nibble on a lil bit o chocolate now and then...hehe..no?

edited to say one more thing..an old trick that teachers use in lecture rooms, turn the heat down a bit, so it's not quite a warm in the room..I open the window just a tad to get some fresh air circulating also....
Sooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

A sleep-inducing afghan, huh? If only it would keep its soporific qualities after you finished knitting it, you'd have a very marketable product on your hands -- an all-natural cure for insomnia! I could use one of those sometimes, for sure.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
luv2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

You aren't alone! I have found myself nodding off when I am working on a project that has a simple and repetitive stitch. Latey I have had to just set those aside and do them while I am watching TV or talking with my kids or DH. I also find that if I am sleepy (or trying to carry on a conversation) NOT to do a complicated stitch or pattern, otherwise I spend more time learning to frog and tink!

Like the chocolate suggestion...always love to have a reason to nibble on chocolate!

luv2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Sissy
1st Leg of the Journey

This happens to me alot.......on nice projects.
Sissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
A sleep-inducing afghan, huh? If only it would keep its soporific qualities after you finished knitting it, you'd have a very marketable product on your hands -- an all-natural cure for insomnia! I could use one of those sometimes, for sure.
Yeah, that really would be awesome.

The thing with this is, it's the ONLY project that has ever done this to me. And it doesn't matter how much sleep I've had or how close to bedtime it is or anything like that. It's weird.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I watch DVDs or play video games when I knit. Maybe watching TV or something would help? You don't need to look as much when it's a simple and repetitive stitch.
trollgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by trollgirl
I watch DVDs or play video games when I knit. Maybe watching TV or something would help? You don't need to look as much when it's a simple and repetitive stitch.
How do you play video games when you knit?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote