Old 12-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
damnedbee
Casting On

Help with lacy diamonds pattern
I'm getting stuck on this pattern:
http://www.geocities.com/love2knit_d...s/Dishcloth016

I've tried it carefully about eight million times, so I'm pretty sure I must not be understanding the pattern direction. I think the pattern is correct because the same one is listed in that link above and in the stitch book I have.

I'm fine for the first few rows and finish row 3 okay, but I'm messing something up and losing a stitch somewhere in row 3. I had 19 stitches at the beginning of row 3, but only had 18 stitches by the time I got to row 5, so I couldn't finish row 5.

My best guess is that I'm not doing the bold steps in row 3 right:

Row 3: K2tog *YO, K3, YO, sl 1 twice, K1 p2sso; repeat from * to last 5 stitches, YO, K3, YO, K2tog through back loop

Here's a really crappy quality Quicktime video of me knitting just that sequence.

Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Like maybe I'm actually supposed to be knitting that sequence similar to the "SSK" tutorial video on this site?
damnedbee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I couldn't get the video to run here at work, but you should be doing it

slip, slip, knit 1, pass the two slipped stitches over the knit 1. It's possible you're missing a yo someplace to account for the missing stitch.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
damnedbee
Casting On

I went through the rows super carefully a bunch of times, so I don't think I've missed a YO.

When I knit one after the two slipped stitches, do I knit into the next stitch on the left needle (just knitting "normally"), or do I knit into the second slipped stitch on the right needle?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Knit into the next stitch 'normally.'

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 12-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
damnedbee
Casting On

Darn! That's what I've been doing. I can't think of anything else to try to make this pattern work. Stupid lacy diamonds, LOL.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I just got to watch your video. You should leave the yarn forward when you knit the stitch after slipping--that will create the yo. As it is, you're only carring the yarn in front of the slipped stitches, not making a yarn over.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 12-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

I think it's how you are holding your yarn when you slip those two...in your video you are slipping them with the yarn in front. Do your YO first, keep it in back, then slip those two stitches. It will be a bit awkward when you do the K stitch after that, but that might be where you are losing your stitch.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
damnedbee
Casting On

Thank you SO much for the help! I'm going to try it again using these suggestions. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 12-03-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
damnedbee
Casting On

Just to follow up, my problem was that I'd been moving the yarn to the back after the two slipped stitches and before the K1. Keeping the yarn in front worked perfectly and now the pattern is a breeze. Thanks again!