Old 11-30-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

KRL KLL
Why do you knit into the stitch below on the KRL and when you do the KLL you have to knit into two stitches below? Wouldn't it make more sense to knit into one stitch below for the KLL too. Because you knit into two stitches below for the KLL it makes a small bump but not for the KRL. Would it work to knit into one stitch below for the KLL? I have tried different inc and this seems to leave no hole but a bump.
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think you do 2 below on the KLL because you've already knit the row you're working on, so you're really going to the same row as on the other side, if I'm picturing this correctly.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
candy
Turning the Heel

Thanks, that makes so much sense.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
candy
Turning the Heel

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I had to do two increases side by side. I did KRL then KLL but I was suppose to do KLL then KRL. Now there is not bump and no hole at all. My question is, can I do this increase any time a pattern says M1 or inc one at each end etc?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I've read that it's not recommended for when you need to do one increase on top of another because it will pull too much. Other than that, I think it's a great method -- my favorite right now.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
candy
Turning the Heel

do you mean one increase on one row then increase on next row at the same place? I have never heard of this increase intil I found this site. All of my books did not have this increase.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
candy
Turning the Heel

I have one more question. I do not understand the chart Amy has on this site. the M1L looks like it is slanting to the right so why is it calles MIL and the MIR looks like it is slanting to the left so why is it called MIR?
Same as the KRL and the KLL, it is the opposite.KRL slants left and KLL slants right. Can you explain this to me?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
I've read that it's not recommended for when you need to do one increase on top of another because it will pull too much. Other than that, I think it's a great method -- my favorite right now.
Yes, I've found that you need a stitch in between or it'll pull. In a top down raglan I do M1L, k1, M1R. At least that's what I think I do... the first one `leans' out to the left, the 2nd one `leans' to the right. Whatever they're called, it works the way I do them. I get my lefts and rights confused a lot...

candy wrote:
Originally Posted by candy
do you mean one increase on one row then increase on next row at the same place? I have never heard of this increase intil I found this site. All of my books did not have this increase.
No, all increases are done on the same row. You just put the tip of your needle into the stitch on the row below. Look at the Increase section of Basic Techniques here, and there's a video on it.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by candy
Yes, that is what I meant. According to at least two different sources, it's not recommended for use when you need to make an increase in the same position on every row. (A third source says to try to have at least 2 rows in between, but I think one is enough.) Most patterns have increase rows alternating with plain rows, so it's usually not a problem. (If you really want to use them one on top of the other, you can prevent pulling by making your increases loosely -- that's according to one of the books.) As for the names KRL and KLL, in one book I have, they are called "lifted increases" and in another, "raised increases." They might be in your books under one of those terms.

I think for KRL and KLL, Amy's referring to whether you pick up the left loop with your left needle or the right loop with your right needle, not the direction of the slant. Honestly, those things confuse me so I just use whichever one looks good, and then use the other one on the other side. I don't bother to think too much about right and left.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote