Old 12-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
allegro
Casting On

closing gap at thumb gusset?
Hi-
Great videos by the way. Now I know how to do a backward loop CO for what I need.

The problem is that I don't see how it closes the gap (after I've transfered my gusset stitches to waste yarn) between the stitches on the right needle and the left needle.

The yarn is on the right needle. Do I do the 2 cast-on stitches on the left needle and then start knitting? How does this join the 2 sides together? I cheated and did one backward loop and then knit it and the first stitch on the left needle together. This joined them, but I still have a big hole.

Thank you.
Jane
allegro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

The working yarn is on the right needle and you now have your thumb stitches on waste yarn. Now, you use backward loop, cable cast on, or knit on cast on to cast on those 2 new stitches that you need. If you use backward loop, it puts the new loops directly onto the right needle and they won't actually be knitted until the following round. Now, the first stitch you want to knit is the one on the other side of the waste yarn stitches. It will be essentially like joining in the round, just as you did at the beginning of your mitten. You will knit the first stitch on the left needle with the working yarn that's coming from the right needle. You'll now be working in the round again and the thumb stitches will be ignored for now. Don't worry too much about any gaps at this point - once you go back and knit the thumb you will be picking up a few stitches along your new cast on edge and it will pretty much close up any gaps that might be there.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote