Old 12-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Why a hank?
Why do some yarns come in a hank rather than a skein? I'm beginning to suspect it is so the hank-producers can laugh maniacally in their evil lairs....

I've never had a problem dealing a skein, but absolutely every single hank I've ever put my hands on turns into a ridiculous knotted mess while I try to roll it into a center-pull ball. It unwinds in silly ways, there are random pieces tied together with matching yarn, it's madness!

So...why is it, exactly, that some yarns are wound into hanks rather than skeins...and how in the heck do I roll them nicely into balls, there's gotta be a better way.

*This random thought brought to you by...the mound of yarn on my bed*
HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Supposedly, yarn is kept more loosely in hanks, which is less stressful to the fiber. That's why some advise not to wind yarn into balls until use.

Of course, yarn manufacturers may just be in cahoots with swift manufacturers.* Then again... they're probably just sadistic.

*As you may have gathered, using a swift is the easiest way to deal with hanks. Some KH'ers have been known to use creative alternatives such as swivel chairs and lamp shades. It's nice to have something that rotates, but you could also just drape it over a chair or your knees or whatever to keep it from tangling.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i think it also helps that it is prettier in a hank too! I am way more likely to buy it if it is a hank rather than a skein....i just like the way it looks (though it was an subconscious thing until recently.)
Old 12-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
Holly
Knitting the Flap

I don't mind when yarn comes in hanks at a LYS, as I've never had a problem having the yarn store wind the hank into a ball for me. However, I've not purchased certain yarns at Knitpicks because they were in a hank and I don't have a ball winder and swift! I thought about putting the winder/swift on my Xmas list, but there are so many other knitting notions I'd rather have and would use more often. Maybe someday when I have unlimited income... !!
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Kirochka
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Kirochka
I don't think I've ever had a hank at home so far that hasn't turned into a total snarl, no matter how careful I've tried to be. I spent hours last weekend unsnarling two different former hanks. Which is why I think I'm going to have to take the plunge and get a swift...

Kirochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
spinnknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Well, SUPPOSEDLY (ha!) hanks can be packed away in less room than a wound up ball of yarn. (Yeah, right.)

I've had a swift and a ball winder for some time now. Maybe because I do spinning, and this was just an easier way for me to deal my handspun. I have an antique creel which I also use a lot.

The swift I chose was that metal one (with some plastic on it, but not entirely). The ball winder was just the cheapest model out there. One thing I can't understand though. Why do people like a center-pull ball? I always have trouble with that because it collapses on itself when I get to a certain point.

Give me the outsider ball!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
ebrperk
Knitting the Flap

I have noticed that about center pull balls too. Mine always end up in a mess by the time I get to the end.

Everybody is somebody elses weirdo.

OTN--Branching Out Scarf
OTN--Naga Socks
ebrperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by spinnknit
One thing I can't understand though. Why do people like a center-pull ball? I always have trouble with that because it collapses on itself when I get to a certain point. Give me the outsider ball!
I'm with you all the way! At a certain point I have unwind the center pull ball and rewind into an outsider ball so it doesn't tangle. A small container next to my knittin' station keeps the balls from rolling all over the floor.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
Yeah, i'm not a fan of the center pull ball either. I'm an outsider too! I have a little cloth-lined basket that is my current-knitting-project basket. The balls just sort of roll around in in there while i'm knitting but it's small enough that it's not a problem. Also, it's great when i'm going somewhere - i just grabe the basket and i've got everything i need!

As for hanks, i've wondered the same question!

I don't have a swift, but i wrap the hank around one of the pillows from my bed. It's just wide enough that the hank doesn't move anywhere and i can keep control of it while winding (without the use of someone else's hands holding it!).

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

If anyone is in the market for a nice-looking swift at a great price, I'm very happy with this one. It's hand made and folds up really compactly for storage. The arms seem a wee bit wobbly to me, but for all I know that's typical. (The only other swift I've used was a vintage metal one and it was considerably less stable.) At any rate, I've been very pleased with its performance. The shipping was really fast, and the price, especially for something handcrafted, is pretty unbeatable -- $36.70 shipped, US. He only has one listed now, but swifts seem to be his specialty so I'm sure he'll be listing more shortly. I have no affiliation with this guy, but I thought I'd share my experience in case others were interested. With 100% positive feedback, it looks like his other customers really like his swifts as well.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote