Old 12-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Toe Up Socks: When to Turn the Heel?
I'm doing my first pair of toe-up socks and you've all been so helpful so far. Well now I'm working on the gusset. I love trying them on as I go but now I'm wondering: at one point should I stop the gusset and start turning the heel?

I'm using this pattern but with a sport weight yarn on size 4 needles so I'm thinking my sock will be bigger over all and thus perhaps not need to go all the way to 74 stitches...or if I just kept going it would be too long.

I'll include a pic to show you where it currently falls on my foot. Do you think I should keep going with the gusset til 74 stitches or turn the heel sooner? (I'm at 64 stitches right now)
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	moresocksofar.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	34034  Click image for larger version

Name:	socksofar.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	34035  
HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Oh yeah. That sock, with the odd heel... I've never done it myself, but I do remember reading about it. Here is some info from the designer about how to adapt for different numbers of stitches. Hopefully that's helpful to you. I'm not enough of a math-head to understand it, but maybe you do.

You could also just try using this calculator to convert the original stitch and row counts to match your new gauge.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Thanks! That looks like it's gonna be helpful.
I guess I should specify I was hoping for a roundabouts answer...something like: when the goes past your arch, or wait until it almost goes to your heel or something like that.

Anybody have a good general guide?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

One guideline I see often is "where the foot meets the ankle," (or something similar). If you understand what that means, let me know.

What I usually end up doing is figuring out how many rows it'll take to do the heel, and then convert that to inches based on my row gauge. I start the heel when I'm that much away from the total foot length, if that makes sense.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 12-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Emeraldcutie
Knitting the Flap

I made those socks. I did them on a 3mm needle. You continue the gusset until the bottom portion (bottom of foot) is at the end of your heel. It looks like you need about an 1" or so. I would stop about a 1/4" before hand or check as you go cause you want to sock foot, just slightly smaller then your foot so that it fits snug and doesn't sag.
Jeesh I sound about as clear as mud.
Does the yarn you are using have stretch to it? If so stop the bottom of the foot about 1/4" before the end of your foot. If not you will want it the same length as your foot.
See below, hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	socksofar-edit.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	34053  
Emeraldcutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

OOh! Super, thanks!

I actually had a fight with these socks last night and I'm going to have to frog a few rows But I'm determined to make them work. I'm not really liking either of the directions for the heels....but I'll give it a go.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Emeraldcutie
Knitting the Flap

Ah trust the pattern as it is written, they really do turn out good, its kind of a reverse gusset, the fit is incredible on them.

I would suggest going down a needle size to get the tension tighter.
Emeraldcutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Emeraldcutie
I would suggest going down a needle size to get the tension tighter.
Mmm...I might, but I don't have 3s. Good excuse to get some though
Old 12-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

If you don't like the Widdershins heel, you might want to take a look at the round heel for toe up socks. It's very similar, except that it uses only short rows instead of short rows and increases. There is no picking up of stitches. Knitty's Baudelaire seems to be an adaptation of the RH (round heel) except that she uses wrap & turn -- those instructions may or may not be easier to understand. I've done the RH with both wrap and turn and with encroachment with good results. (Of course I didn't find the Baudelaire instructions until after I unvented the w&t RH myself!) I think the original instructions, as written, make use of Japanese short rows -- I'm not sure because I do mine a little differently, with safety pins, a la Nona. I may try it that way next time.

The reason I mention the RH is because I think it's easier to adapt to other stitch counts than the Widdershins -- you just have to do short rows until you get down to 1/3 of the # of original sole stitches.