Old 12-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
OT: my house smells so wonderful right now
I've started my Christmas baking this morning. I'm baking homemade loaves of bread today (3 total), and this week I'm hoping to get around to baking 3 loaves of pumpkin bread and 2 loaves of Banana Nut bread. All of these freeze wonderfully so they get baked first every year. I like to give the regular bread out with some organic honey (from whole foods, it's the BEST honey I've ever tasted) as gifts. Of course, i always keep a loaf for Dh, the kids and I to devour. :D

Next week I bake the cookies, and after that, I make the candies. yummmmmmmmmmmm......

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I am not doing Christmas baking this year like usual, because the family is not going to be together, but I too like to make lots of neat stuff, fudge, kieflies, wedding cake cookies, etc,etc. The only I don't make are cut out cookies. I hated them when I was a kid, believe it or not and hate to make them now. Do you make chocolate toffee? I had a recipe for toffee and can't find it anywhere.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I am so not in the mood for holiday baking. It's been 85 here lately with as much humidity and the thought of heating up the house with the oven is not pleasant. I'm hoping for a cool down so we can get into the holiday mood.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
mulene
Working the Gusset

banana nut bread? /drool can i have the recipie please? =)

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i was in the mood to bake this weekend but i have no freezer space. this means that the only thing i could do with all of those goodies would be to eat them...and while that seems like one of the most pleasant ways to die, i am not quite ready yet soooooooooooo...i only baked some cookies to munch on between now and ....well tomorrow at this rate...lol.

I figure by the time i can safely bake and refrigerate, i will be well on the way to out of the mood and will be left with a ton of baking supplies i felt the urge to buy this weekend...
Old 12-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
Chel
Turning the Heel

You know, I LOVE honey. The stuff you buy in the bear=ewww. I know people who keep bees and that stuff is so much better. Plus bees only like to visit one type of flower, so depending on what those particular bees visit the honey can take on different flavors.

Every year I buy some of their homemade soap (which my dermatologist recommends) and I get a block of their 100% pure bees wax (to make my home made lip balm and body butter from) and I get some honey.

Then every year I make home made honey butter and home made garlic butter to go along with the baked stuffs.

Butter is sooooo easy and its GREAT for the kids to make. Let me know if you want the recipe.

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Loaf#1 is out and the oven and still warm, and already attacked by the kids and me. Fresh baked, warm bread drizzled with honey.....drool..... so heavenly.

nonny2t- I don't make any toffee...but damn that sounds good. I normally just stick to fudge, homemade chocolates & chocolate convered pretzels. my chocolate molds are my best friends.

mulene-

Banana Nut Bread (makes 2 loaves)

2 cups sugar
cup shortening
cup butter or margarine
1 cups mashed, ripe bananas
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cups buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
cup chopped walnuts

~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees
~ Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking powder, and soda. Stir in nuts if desired. Pour batter into two greased 9x5 inch pans.
~ Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

stitchwitch & brendajos- hopefully the holiday baking mood strikes and sticks around. I always enjoy my holiday baking so much, it is almost as calming and meditative for me as knitting is. I want everyone to enjoy that. Maybe this is why my sisters call me "betty crocker wanna be" every year at this time....lmao

My Blog

Old 12-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

ooohhh.....chel...please post the recipies!

My Blog

Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
mks22300
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to mks22300
I need to get started on my baking soon. I have my shopping list and list of what cookies I'm going to make, so I guess that's a start!
Oh wait, I have started! I made some mint fudge and orange fudge for my staff Christmas party and have the leftovers in the fridge.

I'm mks22300 at ravelry
mks22300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
Chel
Turning the Heel

Butter is easy.

The most important thing to have is a tall container that seals perfectly with no leaks. I have used quart jars and tupperware and both worked nicely.

Ingredients:
1 pint VERY COLD whipping or heavy cream
1/8 tsp salt
3 tbsp honey
(for garlic butter eliminate the honey and add 1 clove finely minced garlic )

Depending on how large your container is, you may have to divide the ingredients into 2 batches. Just make sure that you are filling your container no more than half full.

Seal tightly and shake. This is a great time to get the kids involved!

You will hear the cream go through several stages. First it sounds like normal liquid. Then the sound gets more dull as the cream thickens. Next it gets heavy and silent and and no matter how hard you shake there is no sound at all. Then it sounds like water was added. Next it will sound like the amount of water has increased and you will feel a lump start bouncing around the sides of the container.

Once the lump forms you can open the container and pour off the liquid. This liquid is buttermilk.

Seal the container and shake some more. Pour off the excess buttermilk.

Repeat this step until no more butter milk is extracted by shaking.
(the more buttermilk is removed, the longer the life of the butter)

You can put the butter into a container to store/serve, however I like mine in logs. To form the logs I put a piece of wax paper or saran wrap on the counter. I put the butter in the middle and fold the paper in half over it. I then push the butter back against the fold so it lengthens, forming a long log shape. Once chilled the butter will hold its shape.

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote