Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Sahara
Casting On

Estimating yarn yardage
How does one estimate the amount of yarn needed to complete a project?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

This calculator will help, but it can only be used accurately for figuring out yardage for a rectangle, and only a few different stitch patterns. I don't know if it will help, it entirely depends what type of project you are planning, but it might give you a very rough idea.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

It would help if we knew what you were making. Here's a guide for some basic projects in different sizes and gauges. This works for sweaters. Here's one more sweater guide that's handy when you're out shopping. I know that there's also a handy guide you can buy, though I've never seen it in person so I don't know whether it covers stuff the others don't.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to janelanespaintbrush For This Useful Post:
wholycow (03-29-2008)
Old 12-04-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Sahara
Casting On

Estimating yarn yardage
Thanks, all, for your advice.
I've been busy since my querry. I found the calculators y'all mentioned. Now all this mathaphobic brain has to do is try to follow the directions.
I am trying to figure out if I have enough yarn for a simple T shirt style sweater with 3/4 length sleeves and a wider, round neck. I don't want to start it and discover I don't have enough. I hand dyed the wool last summer with plans to start on it in the fall. Well . . . that didn't happen. Now, I'm not sure.