Old 12-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
radioarno
Casting On

new to knitting
Hi. I'm Radioarno, middle-aged man, new to knitting.
I want to start with socks. I've been watching my wife watch Amy's videos, (incidentally, I feel about my wife, Srna, the way Amy feels about Sheldon...smartest, and luckiest 'thing' I ever 'did' !), and I've been amazed by Amy's skill and attitude and politics, which come through in everything she does on this site. I've been inspired by my wife's progress, and by Amy's instruction, to start knitting.
Actually, I knitted a couple of scarves, and a silly hat, when I was nine or ten. I haven't done any knitting since, but I've always been good with my hands, and like hand-work. My dad used to always come to me with knots he needed untying; he knew I was patient and focussed and dexterous.
I'm going to start with socks. I'm confused as to all the comparative plusses and minusses of toe-up, cuff down. I'm not 'scared' of kitchener, or increasing or decresing; I'm more interested in the comparative comfort/fit of different toe and heels possible with toe-up versus cuff-down.

I'm also not sure if I'll start with 4 or 5 dpns, or with two sets of circulars. But we'll find out before long.

Any strongly-held opinions out here regarding comparative comfort/fit possible on heel and toe styles associated with toe first/last techniques?

Thanks again, Amy and everyone,
Radioarno, Toronto, Canada
radioarno is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

WELCOME Radioarno It's always great to have another guy aboard. Although I am a woman I really love the stuff that you men do. For some reason you men seem to be bolder with new things. I think you might want to try 2 circular needles for the socks although dpns are not as hard as everyone thinks the circs are great for toe-ups. Knitty.com has some really good articles on toe-up socks.

Once again welcome to KH

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

This site is the best thing that ever happened to my hobby. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Welcome!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Holly
Knitting the Flap

Hello & welcome! I've been working on socks using the book "Sensational Knitted Socks, " and highly recommend it. The book has many different style options, and the instructions are designed around a chart -- you pick your gauge, size of foot and knitting method (3 or 4 DPNS or 2 Circs). Very clear instructions, lots of stitch patterns to choose from as well as different heels, toes, etc...

I learned to make socks using the magic loop method (one long circular needle), but switched to 4 DPNS as most patterns are written for DPNS, and I'm not a fan of converting patterns to fit a different method. As I get more experienced, I'm sure convering patterns to different methods will be easier.

As for the 2 circular method, I haven't tried it because a friend of mine said she continually had problems with "ladders" on her socks where the circs met. More importantly, I don't have 2 tiny circ needles!! I have considered purchasing a couple of size 2 circs and the book "Socks Soar on 2 Circs,"

Good luck!!
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

Welcome!

Have you visited Silver's Sock Class?? It's a very extensive sock tutorial written for new knitters. I highly recommend it! :D
Old 12-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
radioarno
Casting On

Hi! Julie, Hollay and Nadja, thanks for the welcomes and the info. As it turns out, I went out yesterday and bought two sets of 2.5mm circs, and two balls of nice, dk merino. I learned casting on from Amy's video, and continental knit stich from her video too. It all went pretty well. i love the wool, and the small stitches.

Julie, I checked out silver's sock tutorial, and it looks great and detailed, but its for dpns. Did I make a mistake to start with circs? Do I have to go out now and buy dpns? I'd rather continue with the circs, and find out after a pair if I like them, or if they work for me.

There's so much skill to acquire...my tension, dropped stitiches, split yarn, wierd half loops all over the place...all the stuff you guys know about and laugh about.

the really nice thing is that this little bit of red yarn I bought makes a nice little stitch of red fabric, and I aim to make more, much more.

Questions: any other stong feelings, for or against two sets of circs for socks? Any strong feelings about toe-up vs. cuff down? Any strong feelings about types of heels, toes for maximal comfort and shape? Any strong feelings about how to prevent dropping stitiches off of needles?

Hi again. I'm a knitter! yippee!
Arno
radioarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
I like circs and DPNs equally well. I'm working on two socks on two circs at one time. Among all the other projects.

I started them toe up with the turkish cast on, which you can find instructions for if you google it. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Chel
Turning the Heel

I LOVE doing socks. I would like to learn how to do them on 2 circs but in the mean time am quite happy with DPN's.

Welcome to the site, and I hope you'll be knitting here with us for a long time to come!

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

I've only done toe-up with 2 circs. I like the Turkish CO because it's invisible and no seam bump on your toes. I do love my dpns for things like hats.

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
Holly
Knitting the Flap

Hmmmm...now you all are getting me interested in different methods of sock knitting -- and I *have* to look up turkish cast on now!! I just turned the heel on my current, top down sock (on DPNS) last night :-). I really should be getting back to the second sleeve of my sweater...
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote