Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
wooly_guy
Casting On

circulars and twisted sts.
I was wondering if anyone had a trick/tip/advice on avoiding twisting stitches on circulars. I recently tried a pattern that had a lot (300) stitches and was forced to go to a longer (39") set of circulars. I experienced twisting that I never had before, and with the combo of many stitches and the monofilamnet that has a mind of its own.......some difficulty keeping the stiches from twisting. Any tips/help appreciated.
wooly_guy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I've read that laying it out on a table and positioning the cast-on edge inward helps, but it sounds like your cord might not be cooperative. Maybe you can just check it over carefully, working from one end to the other, untwisting on the way as necessary, and then double-checking right after joining.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
one of the things you can do is knit a few rows in pattern, flat and then in the second or third row do the join. it should be easier to make sure it lays flat then and when you are done you can go back and sew up the little gap with the tail yarn.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
wooly_guy
Casting On

The longer length of the mono makes it impossible to keep it positioned, at least w/o a couple of extra hands to hold it and keep it from twisting. My best thought was to lay it on something and hold it down with weight (books,something) and then align the stitches. It only seems to be a problem for the join and first couple of rows, then the weight of the yarn starts to counteract the twisting of the mono. But with lotsa stitches I had more than a difficult time keeping them straight, like 3 or 4 re-do's
wooly_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Good one, Brendajos. I've seen that method before -- in one of EZ's books, maybe? That's a great idea for a project with lots of cast on stitches.

Wooly guy -- have you tried dipping the cord in hot water to relax it and make it less ornery?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Over on knitty board's knitting tips forum, someone just posted that she used some of those binder clips on her needles to hold them on straight.
http://knittyboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=45131&highlight=

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote