Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I like two circs for sleeves that are attached to sweaters. I can flip the sleeve back and forth rather than have to spin the entire sweater as I would on dpns.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
Compulsive
1st Leg of the Journey

Magic Loop is less combersome for me. I knit almost at the same pace as I do on circs or straights. I NEVER will have to go from circs to DPNS again. At first, it seemed odd, but by the 5th or so round, I got into the zone, and zoomed from there. I think ML is perfect for clumsy knitters like me who fear a loss of an eye due to DPNS based on previous experience or a DPN sticking out an ear or nose cavity.
Knitting in the round*Garter Stitch short rows without wrapping *Eve's Rib * even ribbing * seaming ridges evenly * Annie Monesett's favorite increase**Magic Loop*5 cast-on methods* 4 decrease methods
Want to Knit List:

Cleo (rip out and finish), Lippitt , Perephone, Tempest, Chinese tapestry slipstitch hat, Entrelac anything
Fair Isle something, Top down sweater
Compulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
candy
Turning the Heel

magic loop
I'm hooked, I love magic loop. The only problem was the join. I did not think that it looked as invisable as on dpn when I took the first and last stitch and transposed them. No matter how hard I pulled the first stitch it was still noticable. So I just transposed the first and last stitch on the magic loop before I started my first round. Now you can't see the join at all. Now I have a problem of remembering where the first stitch is to keep track of my rows. I tried to put a marker on but somehow it keeps falling off without me noticing and I don't want to look for the tail everytime because that won't make me to remember to mark the row. Any suggestions?
candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #14
lauraknits
Knitting the Flap

I have been using dpns and doing just fine with them, but I can see how you might want to do ML if you were carrying your knitting around a lot. I carried mine yesterday and I kept worrying one of my size 2 bamboo dpn's might break if I didn't pack them in carefully....

Hmm... maybe I'll try it on my next project.

Not that I am anywhere close to this level of proficiency, but for future reference: can you do 2 socks one inside the other like you can with dpn's?
lauraknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #15
candy
Turning the Heel

magic loop
I did not know that you could do two socks at once with DPN. I have never made socks but I am doing two sleeves. Can I do two sleeves at once with magic loop?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #16
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Re: magic loop
Originally Posted by candy
I did not know that you could do two socks at once with DPN. I have never made socks but I am doing two sleeves. Can I do two sleeves at once with magic loop?
Yes, you can do one inside the other by using double knitting (not that I've done it, but I do know it's possible). The uncoupling of the socks is a well-known parlor trick. You can also work two socks (or sleeves) side-by-side. This link should give you an idea of how to position your work on the needles.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #17
candy
Turning the Heel

magic loop 2 at a time
That is great, I book marked it so I can try it next time. I am too chicken to try it now because I just learnt magic loop and I might get confused.