Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
rtn1946
Casting On

twisted loop increase
I am working on my certification thru The Knitting Guild of America and am making a mitten and it calls for a twisted loop increase with an extra twist to fill the gap where the thumb and mitten join. I don't quite know how that is done can anyone help?

Thank you, Tamie
rtn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
I've not come across that particular increase.

Have you tried posting your question to the TKGA forums?

They have a board there dedicated to answering questions about all aspects and techniques of all the levels plus at least one of the judges posts there regularly.

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

According to this page, it sounds like the same thing that Amy calls M1A, i.e., backwards loop increase.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
rtn1946
Casting On

Thank you for your help. Actually went to TKGA forum first before posting here I think I have figured it out, but thanks again for the help. Tamie
rtn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
woodwoman
Casting On

Tamie,

I, too, am working on the mitten for level 2. What did you find out?
woodwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
In Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmermann she talks about a loop cast on page 20. It is pictured there and is more like the M1T that Amy shows in her increases. Then she adds, "If you can train yourself to twist the loop (EZ italics) before putting it on the needle, it is a great improvement, and may perhaps find yourself using this version frequently."

I found that the picture of that technique which she called Twisted Loop Casting-on is not made by doing the M1T though, but a M1A (which is to fold the yarn back on itself so the the yarn going to the skein is in back). Then with that e-loop formed, instead of putting it on the needle the most direct way(like the M1A), to twist it toward the RH needle tip and when the next opportunity comes to put in on the RH needle tip, put it on. If you try to twist it the wrong direction it will all come apart, so it is self correcting.

I think this is what your directions are talking about. I can probably get DH to take a picture of how this looks if anyone needs it.