Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Mookie
Casting On

Binding off Circular needles? I don't get how :(
I made the harry potter scarf from atypically site. Now for the binding off I was told to do this method
http://www.sweaterscapes.com/shldseam.htm

Now the problem I had was when I got 1/2 way down I couldn't get the stitches off the needles anymore. I can see doing this with 2 straight double pointed needles. But with the circular needle I could get so far.
Shrugging shoulders
Can some one explain what I did wrong? I am new at knitting so I know it had to be something on my end.

I finished the scarf off with a regular bind off. I have to add fringe so It will cover it up. I want to know for future projects.

TIA
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I like following Knitty when I do it. The photos and instructions are very clear.
Kitchener Stitch

Bend the cord and split the stitches so you have half on either side. Then slide them down as you bind off.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
you should be able to bind off just like you would on straight knitting. what was happening that you couldn't get it off the needles?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
That looks like three needle bind off...So the remaining stitches were "stretching" across the circular part.

Mookie, if you do like Jan said and pull a loop of circular out from between two of the stitches (halfway) and then the rest should slide forward so you can do the bind off.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Or, you can put the two equal sets of stitches onto straight needles if you find that easier.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Mookie
Casting On

I have no idea how to explain this...but I will try.

What was happening is towards the end I couldn't get the stitches off.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78...b985f6fb-1.jpg
I put a cheese arrow but that is the spot I would get stuck at. I put the two needles side by side and used a third one to bind off with. Had no problem but as I got further I couldn't get them off anymore. I couldn't seperate the stitches because I had them in a loop.

My gosh I hope that made sense. I should have taken pictures of my issue and posted instead of getting frustrated and binding the rest off normal.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

What you need to do is what Jan originally suggested. At the halfway point of your stitches you will need to actually pinch the cord of the circular needle and pull it out between the two sets of stitches. If you can't picture how this would be done, take a look at the video on this page called 'magic loop knitting' under small diameter circular knitting. For what you want to do, you won't actually be using magic loop knitting so don't let that confuse you - I'm just pointing you in that direction so that you can see how to pull the cable of the circular needle out between two stitches.

If you just have the stitches going in a loop around your circular needle like you show in your photo, as you bind stitches off the number of stitches left on the needle gets smaller and things get tighter and tighter around your needle and I can see how it would get more and more difficult. The above solution will fix it for you.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
Mookie
Casting On

I understand now. Damn, I should have posted this before I did the bind off.
Oh well...it is all learning

Thanks for the feedback and links everyone. Now I know what to do for the next scarf