Old 12-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
carolyn12345
Ribbing the Cuff

slip stitch
I am trying to knit a scarf that asks for the first stitch of every row to be slipped. I just take the stitch and pass it on to the next needle, but after a few rows I get a long string that interferes with the knitting. Do you know what I am doing wrong? What if I just ignore that slip instruction. Does it make a big difference in the pattern? As always, Thank you, Carolyn, still struggling with the knitting
carolyn12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

You are probably making a chain selvage, which looks kind of like an elongated chain on the edge of the fabric. If they don't specify, you should probably slip the stitch purl-wise. Try clicking on the glossary tab at the top of the page, and looking at the video for sl1p. That will tell you whether you are slipping correctly. Do you happen to have a link to the pattern?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
carolyn12345
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you, the pattern is on lion brand under beginners hat and scarf, I'll try to get the link. I appreciate the quick reply,
Old 12-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
carolyn12345
Ribbing the Cuff

This is the scarf pattern:

SCARF
With A, cast on 17 sts.
Row 1 Slip first st, k 3, p 3, k 3, p 3, k 4.
Row 2 Slip first st, knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches as they face you.
Rows 3-6 Repeat Rows 1 and 2 twice.

Change to B and repeat Rows 1-6.

Change back to A and repeat Rows 1-6. Continue in this manner, changing colors after every 6 rows, until piece measures approximately 66 in or desired length, ending with a 6-row repeat of A.

Bind off loosely and weave in ends.

FRINGE

Cut 10 in strands of yarn, 18 of each color. Place 1 strand each of A and B together and fold in half. Use crochet hook to pull loop through first st, draw ends through loop, and snug loop up against fabric of Scarf. Continue in this way, placing fringe through every other stitch at top and bottom (short sides) of Scarf.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Oh, so it's just a 3x3 rib with a chain selvage. Hm... I wonder where things are going wrong. What are you doing at the end of the row? It says to knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you, but as a slipped stitch, the last stitch is not really either, is it? You want to make sure that the last stitch of a row is always a knit (the last stitch being the one that you had slipped in the beginning of previous row). Here, let me write it out as it would work with your pattern:

Row 1 Slip first st, k 3, p 3, k 3, p 3, k 4.
Row 2 Slip first st, p 3, k 3, p 3, k 3, p 3, k 1.
Rows 3-6 Repeat Rows 1 and 2 twice.

Maybe that's less confusing.

You can do the scarf without a selvage, but it'll probably look neater with one.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Here is a little more visual description of how to slip stitches for a chain edge too.

Chain Edge Selvedge
Old 12-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
carolyn12345
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you so much, I'm going to try again