Old 12-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
My new knitting group!
Hey folks! I live next to a little store that's turned into a breakfast place, coffee shop, and old time natural foods grocery. Last spring Peg, one of the employees there, told me that there had been a knitting group, but it had disbanded when the weather got nicer. As it got colder again, I asked Peg if the group was going to start back up. She said she was waiting for someone to tell her, as well. Finally I just got tired of waiting and told her that we should just start sometime, so we picked yesterday (Saturday, Dec 16) as the day to start.

Well I'm proud to say that we had a wonderful first group turnout! Four knitters besides myself and Peg showed up:
A teenager working on the scarf she started years ago;
A sheep farmer who also worked at the store and knitted in between customers;
A woman from the community who responded to our ad in the weekly store email and was making a felted vase;
and a Man! He was bearded and working on a pair of socks, and said that he was glad there was a group because he doesn't have time to knit anymore unless he makes a point to do it. He's known around the community for making wooden spoons and utensils, and his "day job" is working as a substance abuse counselor for a criminal rehabilitation program.

It was such an exciting turnout! I think I'm going to bring my laptop next time and show them videos from this website when they have questions, since I seemed to be the most advanced knitter there (though not the most experienced). If we get enough people I might buy the CD and start lending it out. Anyways, I just had to share!!! So exciting!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

That's WONDERFUL!!!

Good for you...ain't it great to get together with others of like mind?

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Aylaanne! Congrats! That's wonderful for you. I've been looking for this too. So many, well just about all except for Seaport Yarns which is way downtown in the financial district where I hate to go, yarn shops here only have knitter groups who have bought yarn in the shop or take classes. I'm hoping to get a group going next summer up near my house in the Catskills. It must've been a great feeling to get together with new knitters! Specially now during the holiday season.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
That's awesome! I belong to a group, but only one other woman and I are very regular. It's still fun though.

I would encourage them to buy their own CD if at all possible. It will be a plug for the forum and buying the CD helps support the forum as well.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
PinkRoses
Knitting the Flap

Oh, that sounds like fun! May I ask, which town are you in? I'm in Uxbridge, MA and I would be interested in attending a group! I've been knitting for years and years and it would be nice to personally know other knitters.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/
PinkRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Lisa,

I'm all the way out in Ashfield, which I believe is quite a drive from Uxbridge. I'm West of Worcester. However, if you're ever out this way, you're more than welcome to attend! Saturdays at 2pm.

As for the CD, I'm hoping that if I buy a CD and bring my laptop to work to show people the website, they might be encouraged to buy their own CDs as well. I'm all about supporting the website and the forum. :D

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Sounds like fun - way to spread the knitting love!

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote