Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
nonny2t
Instepping Out

yarn vs needle size
I have been looking for eons for just the right pattern for a pair of short rompers, sunsuit, etc for a newborn size and finally found something that I love, but there is no gauge and my question is this:

It says use size 5 needle and a sport/cotton yarn

I have this gorgeous mint green leftover from my dd's shrug that would be perfect but it is a #3 light worsted weight. If I use 4 needles, could that work and make it the approximate size? I need expert advice here as I have no gauge to go on to test it out!

Thanks!!!
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Doncha just hate when a pattern does that???

Are there any finished dimensions?

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

There is a quite a difference between sport and light worsted. Still, you could try swatching and see how the fabric turns out. It will probably be a bit dense (compared to what you'd get with sport), but if it seems okay to you, go for it.

Another thought: If the pattern comes in different sizes, you could try making it in a smaller size to compensate for the difference in gauge.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
There is a quite a difference between sport and light worsted. Still, you could try swatching and see how the fabric turns out. It will probably be a bit dense (compared to what you'd get with sport), but if it seems okay to you, go for it.

Another thought: If the pattern comes in different sizes, you could try making it in a smaller size to compensate for the difference in gauge.
Nope, only one size, no dimensions, nothing. I haven't found anything like it in books or free patterns and really want to make this because it has this adorable little matching sweater/tshirt that goes underneath it. I just decided to start knitting it and see what it looks like. The yarn doesn't seem to be knitting up too heavy or thick and is really soft yarn. I have a standard measurment link in my knitting favorites that has newborn sizing so I am going to knit some and see how it compares. If it is too small, I will give it away and too big and they can keep it for another baby since this baby is going to be born the first part of June.

Thanks for your input ladies!!! (I did finally find the woman's email address and emailed her so maybe she can give me a little more guidance)
Old 12-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If it turns out too big, give it to them anyway. It may fit in another month or two...

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I received a response from her and this is a preemie outfit. I just went up a couple needles sizes to a 6 and it is coming along fine. It is soooo cute. It is knit in one piece and I have it's little bottom done and it is so cute and tiny.