Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #41
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

I'm planning a trip there for this Saturday to pick up some extra bobbins for my spinning wheel. I talked to them on the phone and they were so nice. I might pick up some roving while I'm there too but it depends on how much time I have to look around. My DH is gone for business until Sunday so it will be me, my parents and my 8 month old for this shopping trip. I can't wait to go!

Blog & Pictures: http://motherhenknits.blogspot.com/
suziehomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #42
temergency
Ribbing the Cuff

Watch the weather!!!
We are getting hammered here, check the doppler before you make the trek but have fun!!! :?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #43
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

I woke up with morning to see a blanket of snow!! It's so beautiful and it's still coming down in big lake-effect chunks. I think we've got at least 6 inches so far!

I took my son to day care this morning and he was having so much fun. The flakes would land on his face and he'd try to swat them. I just wanted to keep him and play outside all day.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #44
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Of all days for the lake effect to hit and move into Syracuse...I had to drive to Rochester this morning and take my oldest dd back to college. Once you got past Geneva it was clear and sunny, but before that....very slow moving and white-outs. Gald it cleared out for the ride back this afternoon. I love the snow, but hate to drive in the lake effect stuff.

Suzie~ You'll have to take your little one out when you get home and play in the snow. You'll have so much fun!

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #45
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

Every night when we come home I take him out into the drive way and I point out things to him. Christmas lights were cool and he loves watching the wind blow the trees around. He's only 8 months old and not walking yet so I don't feel comfortable taking him outside yet. In a couple months we'll definitely be out there.

Funny story - I've never used a snow blower before. We had apartments out in Chicago and our townhouse association hired people to plow and shovel. DH is in Miami for business until Sunday and we get dumped on today. I decide that I'm going to shovel on my lunch break (I work from home) instead of working out on the treadmill. I get out there and the snow is way too heavy for my out of shape body. So - I think to myself "I'm a smart chick, I can figure out the snow blower". Yeah right. I couldn't get it to start so I called my dad. He walked me through all of the steps and it still wouldn't start. After about 45 minutes he decides that there's probably no key in the darn thing. I search the garage and finally find the key under a bunch of junk (thanks hubby) and it finally starts. I'm all excited and I go from the house to about half way down the road and it stops blowing. Bunch of heavy wet snow is stuck in the blower. So I take 10 mins to hack that out and get it clear again. I finish my initial pass and get to the road, struggle to turn around and start back up. I'm feeling so free and independent - I can do this! Then it shuts off. I drag it back up to the garage plug it back in to start it and it chugs for a minute and shuts off again. I'm out of gas and DH didn't leave me any extra in the little red can.

All of that took about and hour and a half. If I had just kept shoveling I would have been done by now. I still love the snow though!

Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #46
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Your story is similar to my first time with the blower. It had enough gas, but was an older model (1970ish) and was such a struggle to use. After one pass, and dragging it back up the driveway, I put it away! Our driveway now is alot bigger and hubby uses a 4-wheeler with a blower on it to clear it out. Just be very, very careful clearing out the blower if it gets stuck with ice and snow. A friend of ours thought his hand was out far enough when he pulled out a chunk of ice, but the blades spun around once the pressure from the ice was off, and he lost 2 of his fingers.

I forgot your son is still a little, little guy. Soon you'll be out there with him! My girls loved being pulled around in one of the baby sleds when they were little.

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #47
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

Lisa! That's a great idea! I never honestly thought about getting a sled for him. I must be the worst mom ever. I'm going to WalMart on Saturday when my parents get here and I'm definitely getting him one. He's got a snow suit already but I never thought he'd need it until he could walk.

I just hope the snow stays long enough.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #48
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

I went to North Wind Yarns on Saturday and just loved it. It was really hard to find since they have a white sign that was covered in snow. Plus they're not on the street, they're back behind another building - definitely hard to find but well worth the trip.

Dan was very nice to me and my father. They have lots of brands that I absolutely love (including Encore). While they only had a small section of roving for spinning he did mention that he could order anything I wanted if they didn't have it in the store. How nice!

I ended up buying a little over a pound of roving to spin, a pattern for a hoodie to make for my son and the 4 bobbins that I originally came for. I absolutely love the "Knitting Pure & Simple" line of patterns and I already have some yarn that will work nicely. My father was suprised that I didn't buy any yarn but I'm trying to stick firmly to my "Knit from my stash only!" resolution for this year.

Dan gave me 20% off my total purchase because I was a first time customer. Isn't that great service! I'm definitely coming back.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pattern_170.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	35383  Click image for larger version

Name:	north_winds_purchase.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	35384  

Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #49
photogirl12
Casting On

I am from Upstate NY
I live north of Albany and south of Saratoga.
photogirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #50
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

Welcome!