Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Is this petty?
Ok, so I posted a few pics of a scarf here and at crafster. Someone said they were going to copy it and sell it. I checked on Ebay and sure enough, they are. I didn't post a pattern or anything, but they basically got it the same except they used less stripes on it.

Now, I'm not upset that people like my scarf. That's cool. I'm glad. But I'd much rather see it donated to charity or something instead of being sold. I can't even tell you why her trying to sell it annoys me, it just does. Am I a small, terrible person?

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
candicane
Working the Gusset

I am just guessing here, but since you did not post a copyrighted pattern, she has done nothing legally wrong.

You cannot copyright an idea.

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

You're definitely not a small, terrible person. I'd feel the same way too...not really angry, but kinda, well, I dunno...confused? Jealous that they're selling a scarf that if anyone shoulda been selling, it shoulda been me? I think what they're doing is not only rude, it's tactless. You have every right to feel the way you do. ::big hugs::

ETA: And just because it's not legally wrong, doesn't mean it's not morally wrong.

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

I don't think it's petty, I got annoyed just reading about it. It sounds like it was your pattern. If so she should have at least asked for the pattern and if it was ok to do what shes doing. Am I right or wrong in assuming that she is profitting off of your pattern?

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

That's a bummer. I don't know the ins and outs of copyright law, but I do know that you do not have to have something officially filed or even labeled with a copyright mark to be protected, at least when it comes to stuff like artwork. I don't know how it would work your particular situation, but I imagine that how unique the scarf is would probably be key. Regardless, what she did was just uncool. Have you contacted her about it?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by feminine_earth
You're definitely not a small, terrible person. I'd feel the same way too...not really angry, but kinda, well, I dunno...confused? Jealous that they're selling a scarf that if anyone shoulda been selling, it shoulda been me? I think what they're doing is not only rude, it's tactless. You have every right to feel the way you do. ::big hugs::

ETA: And just because it's not legally wrong, doesn't mean it's not morally wrong.

I agree with femine_earth...

on a lighter note I thought this said Is this pretty? I kept thinking but I see no picture of the scarf what am I missing

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
DonnaS
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DonnaS Send a message via MSN to DonnaS Send a message via Yahoo to DonnaS
Did you post a pattern that she copied ? or did you post a picture of a striped scarf and she made a similar one?

Sorry, but you can't copyright inspiration. Things are created all the time from inspiration... unless they are using someone's personal pattern and selling without their permission then there's really nothing they are doing that is wrong. A simple striped scarf is not something that could be copyrighted.. I guarantee yours wasn't the first I know, coz I sold a TON of them last year at christmas lol Now if she's stolen your pattern and giving it away or calling it her own that's something different... a written pattern, not an idea for a striped scarf.

I understand why this might bug you, it probably would me too especially if she had the cheek to admit she was going to take the idea and sell it on ebay. That was just rude... but she's really done nothing wrong to be honest. Rude yes, illegal no.
My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest!

~ Nothing in life so bad it can't be solved with an afternoon of yarn shopping... and a great sale! ~

DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by dustinac
on a lighter note I thought this said Is this pretty? I kept thinking but I see no picture of the scarf what am I missing
Sorry about that.

I didn't think she was doing anything illegal (since I didn't post an actual pattern), just annoying. And it wasn't a plain striped scarf, it was a double knit skull scarf. LOL, I'd pretty much be an idiot if I thought I was the very first person to make a plain striped scarf.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not a copyright expert, but it sounds to me a lot like she's making unauthorized reproductions of your artwork and selling them. That's a big no-no, and by the laws I know of quite illegal. You'd certainly be justified in asking her to stop, and if she doesn't, in asking eBay to take her items down.

But the Girl from Auntie probably knows better.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #10
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

I would be upset as well However, I agree its not legally wrong but it is morally wrong. However if she did not copyright it already then you could always copyright it first and she wouldnt be able to sell them anymore. Copyright your version. You have proof that you made it up you have a finished product that was posted long before she started selling hers right
Also I dont see anything like it on ebay do you have a link

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote