Old 12-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
knitaholic
1st Leg of the Journey

question on Mary Jane slippers
Hi,

I'm knitting the Mary Jane slippers (in the round)--my question is: the pattern says to "slip a stitch", do you slip it purl-wise or knit-wise? The pattern doesn't state which way to slip, and I've been slipping purl-wise, and it is making holes. The stitches before the slipping are all knit stitches, so would it have been better if I had slipped these knit-wise? On this pattern you start out knitting flat.

Thanks,

Knitaholic
knitaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Hi Knitaholic,

Ingrid's response just below your question has good info on knitwise or purlwise "slipping".

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ic.php?t=23037

Check it out.

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
knitaholic
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by dplantlady
Hi Knitaholic,

Ingrid's response just below your question has good info on knitwise or purlwise "slipping".

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ic.php?t=23037

Check it out.

Diane
Yes, I read this, but that is not what I am asking--I want to know if I should slip knitwise or purlwise--I've always thought that if the pattern does not state how to slip, you slip purlwise. I'm getting holes in my knitting from slipping purlwise, and wondered if I should slip knitwise since I am using the knit stitch for the beginning of the pattern.

Thanks,

Knitaholic
Old 12-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think you're supposed to be slipping knitwise on this pattern. Don't the slipped stitches sort of mark the edge of the sole? They'll lie flatter I think.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
knitaholic
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq
I think you're supposed to be slipping knitwise on this pattern. Don't the slipped stitches sort of mark the edge of the sole? They'll lie flatter I think.

sue
Thanks, that's what I thought after I slipped them purl-wise and got those holes. And, yes, I think they do mark the edge of the sole. I think this is confusing when they don't tell which way to slip, because, as you guessed, I just don't know. I felt like after I slipped them purl-wise, that maybe that was not right, since I've been been doing the knit stitch before I join them in the round. If this comes up again, how will I know which way to slip if they don't state how--do you just go by what stitch you've been doing?

Knitaholic
Old 12-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Whatever looks right, I think. That's how I've done it - kwise on the knit side, pwise on the purl side. I think you're always supposed to slip pwise when you're doing the first stitch of the row for an edge, but I don't do that either. I've tried it and the edge stitches are too loose. Probably because I generally use large needles. After all this time, I like the look of a not slipped edge anyway. Especially since I've learned to tighten up the first stitch.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote