Old 12-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
madametj
Working the Gusset

Skill Level?
how would one determine what skill level they are at? i've been knitting for like a year and always considered myself to be a beginner, but i was just thinking maybe i'm past that now, maybe i'm.....intermediate?

lets see, i can cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease, yarn over, slip stiches, change colors, seed stitch, drop stitch, twisted drop stitch, bind off

i dont know how to do cables, never made socks, and i've never made an actual garment (blouse, sweater, etc...)

so where do u think that puts me? advanced beginner? intermediate?

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
spinnknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Pretty good.

Done socks? With what you have listed, you could easily do socks. If you are afraid to turn a heel, then do tubes!
Old 12-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by spinnknit
Pretty good.

Done socks? With what you have listed, you could easily do socks. If you are afraid to turn a heel, then do tubes!
:thinking: nope, never done socks (better add that to the list... ) i dont have any sock yarn, but i might try some tubes though

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Level
I reckon advanced beginner at least but probably once you can do two or three of the following I'd say you could qualify as intermediate.
Cable (extra points if without a cable needle), mini-cable, intarsia, Fair Isle, knitting on DPNs, in the round on a circular, in the round on two circulars, magic loop, double knitting, socks, two items in the round inside each other, create your own pattern, knit both English and Continental, I-cord, lace, know multiple ways to cast on and off and increase and decrease and when you prefer which, pick up stitches, seaming, read a chart, hmmm anything else?

The difference between being able to do these and not isn't some natural aptitude for all these techniques... it is just that you have done them! You don't need super abilities to do a cable but you do need to do them. Lots of tutorials/pictures/articles explaining these techniques on the Internet.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

I would say intermediate. if you can make a go at some tube socks or such (which I am hating!) you are more than there!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
PinkRoses
Knitting the Flap

God, I remember seeing a list somewhere that describes the different levels. I'll search my laptop and see if I can find that list somewhere. I know I've seen it within the last half year or so.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/
PinkRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
PinkRoses
Knitting the Flap

http://www.yarnstandards.com/skill.html

This is the best I could find tonight. I know I saw a more detailed list before but I just can't find it.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/
PinkRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Wow that puts me at advanced intermediate/experienced! And here I'd kinda still considered myself an advanced beginner getting close to intermediate! I feel all happy and special now.

Keep knitting - its definitely not hard to get experienced. All you have to do is not be afraid to try something new!
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Eek. Well no matter what it says, I'm going to consider myself a beginner until I reach at least the end of my first year! (I'll probably adjust that to second year after I reach my first anniversary. ) There is too much I don't know to consider myself intermediate or experienced, even though I've done some (but not all) of the things from both lists. Plus, I just want to keep my newbie status as long as possible. 'Cause I like being a baby. Wah!

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I just found a blanket pattern for the baby that said intermediate and looked at it and thought, hey, I can do this and I don't think I am an intermediate. I just go pattern to pattern with what I want to do and for me, I don't worry about skill level. I just learn new stuff when I want and need to.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote