Old 12-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
mimi
Knitting the Flap

What is a lifeline?
Before I try the Branching Out scarf, I read all the posts in the KAL very carefully. I want to succeed. What is a lifeline? I searched the forum before I posted this but don't quite get it.

As to chart reading, is there a specific site I can go to for a tutorial?

Thank you, and happy holidays.

Mimi
mimi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Have you seen the video on this site?

It's on the Basic Techniques page. Mouse down to "More" & it's about halfway down the page.

Basically, it's a way to rip back to a specific point in your work if you realize you've made a mistake, rather than back to the beginning. (Maybe the first row of a repeat would be a good place...that way you'd know which row to begin at again.) It's done because it's hard to remove stitches from the needles to rip back say 8 or 10 rows & then be able to gather them all back up again...because of the amount of yarn overs & stitches knitted together and such in a lace pattern.

When you finish a pattern repeat & have checked to make sure it looks like it ought to, you can either put in a second lifeline at the start of the next pattern repeat and then alternate moving them up, one at a time, or remove the one that's there & use that.

The lifeline itself can be anything...a contrasting color piece of yarn, a piece of fishing line, one of the extensions from an interchangeable needle set, anything that'll hold the stitches without stretching them.

HTH,

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote