Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
Elongated Stitch Row End
I am hoping to make a simple scarf using the Elongated Stitch (found pattern on KP Yarns site). I studied Amy's video demo for this stitch, and I believe I've got it. but, one question remains: each elongated stitch produces a two-stranded column; EXCEPT one end of the row, which seems to have (necessarily) a column with three strands (twisted).

The pattern calls for co 12 sts, loosely, *k1 (wrap twice), repeat to end of row, ending in k1*. This is for the Elongated Stitch row. For me, this produces the different colum on one end. I have tried (a) beginning and ending with a regular knit stitch, framing the elongated wrapped stitches; and (b) beginning and ending with a slip stitch. These two "methods" also produce an odd column on one end of the row.

I have knitted up about 6 inches 8 times so far, but get the same result each time.

Is this asymmetric terminal column normal? Acceptable? Looks strange to me. Can it be avoided?

Confused again,

Lando
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-24-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

When you "framed" the elongated stitches with knit stitches, did you just add k1 to the beginning of the row, or did you add another k1 to the end of the row as well? Because if you added a stitch on both edges, you'd end up with k1 at beginning of the row and k2 at the end of the row, which would cause some assymetry. If that's not what happened, then . It's not a stitch I've ever used, but it seems like it should be symmetrical as long as both edges have the same number of regular k's.

In Amy's instructions for her elongated scarf (in the free patterns section), her elongated stitch row doesn't have any plain knit stitches at all. I actually think that makes more sense because it seems like using regular knit stitches as your selvage would make the edges short (lengthwise) relative to the body of the scarf, causing puckering.

P.S. You have the same avatar as someone else here -- but I can't for the life of me remember who!

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
knitasha
Turning the Heel

I think that would be VictoiseC. Great minds run in the same direction!
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
I'll have to recheck the stitch count and the end stitches. I know i tried all the combinations I could think of, but ....

Ah ... the avatar ... well, uh, that is, I uh ... I APPROPRIATED IT from someone on the site. None of the images I have used as avatars on other sites were small enuf for this site, so I "borrowed" someones.

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year,

Lando
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote