Old 12-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
LeeLee
Ribbing the Cuff

So confused decrease rows... How many rows???
Merry Christmas Everyone,

Have another question from a newbie here working on ponco/sweater. I put the pattern in red and my questions in green.

Pattern link: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/wi.../wisteria.html

Here are the instructions for the point I'm trying to work on the BACK of sweater:

Note: The sleeves are sewn to the back and front all the way to the cast-on edge of the back and front ribbing.

Shape Raglan Armholes:

Dec Row (RS): K2, k3tog, k to last 5 sts, SSSK, k2 117 sts. Rep this dec every 4th row 17 times more,

Do I knit until there are only 5 stitches left to work?? Then SSK, K2 so that there are a total of 117 stitches left?

Now, really confused about the rows. Do I decrease every 4th row for a total of 17 total rows, which means I do this decrease only 4 times, or do I decrease every 4th row (17 SETS of rows) for a total of 68 actual rows????

then every 6th row 3 times 37 sts. Work even until piece measures approximately 25" from beg when measured down center of piece. Bind off.

Do I decrease every 6th row for a total of 18 total rows, (3 SETS of rows)????

Also... what kind of stitch do I use to do these decrease rows? Do I continue as before the rows started decreasing, which was P one row, K one row? Asking because that first row of decreasing said to knit the entire row, so I assume the next row is a purl???

Last for now, when I bind off, is there any particular type of bind off I should use? If I'm ending on a knit row, should I just do standard knit bind off??

Thanks so much for any help. I'm on my first pattern, new to knitting and so confused!!!

Lee Lee
LeeLee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-26-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
"Dec Row (RS): K2, k3tog, k to last 5 sts, SSSK, k2 117 sts. Rep this dec every 4th row 17 times more,"

Do I knit until there are only 5 stitches left to work?? Then SSK, K2 so that there are a total of 117 stitches left?
Yes, but you're only using up 4 sts to do a ssk, k2. Is there a Sl 1, then the ssk and pass the first slipped stitch over the ssk? There's a k3tog at the beginning of the row, so you need to also dec 2 sts at the end of the row.

Repeating the row for 17 *more* times, means a total of doing that row 18 times. And the rows in between.

Quote:
"Then every 6th row 3 times 37 sts. Work even until piece measures approximately 25" from beg when measured down center of piece. Bind off."

Do I decrease every 6th row for a total of 18 total rows, (3 SETS of rows)????
Yes.

And yes, you'd do all these rows in the stockinette stitch you were doing before the decs. When you BO, just BO in the stitch for that row.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
LeeLee
Ribbing the Cuff

Still unclear Rep dec every 4th row 17 times more????? HUH??
Thanks Sue,

I think I typed my question incorrectly. So to answer your question...

Quote:
"Yes, but you're only using up 4 sts to do a ssk, k2. Is there a Sl 1, then the ssk and pass the first slipped stitch over the ssk? There's a k3tog at the beginning of the row, so you need to also dec 2 sts at the end of the row. "
The pattern actually said K2, K3tog, K to last 5 sts, SSSK, K2

I wrote SSK, not SSSK

Now, my question is HOW TO DO SSSK????? Is it the same as SSK, as shown in the videos on this site, just add an extra slip??

Also, the way I figure it out with the decease rows (Rep this dec every 4th row 17 times more) is as follows:

Dec Row (RS) Decrease this row
R2 (WS)
R3 (RS)
R4 (WS)
R5 (RS) Decrease this row
R6 (WS)
R7 (RS)
R8 (WS)
R9 (RS) Decrease this row
R10 (WS)
R11 (RS)
R12 (WS)
R13 (RS) Decrease this row
R14(WS)
R15 (RS)
R16 (WS)
R17 (RS) Decrease this row

Is that correct, or do I continue with these sets until I've actually decreased 17 rows over a 68 rows? I have 121 stitches on the needle and assume I have to get down to 37 stitches, which is what is said after completing the decrease below over 6 rows. I feel so lost and brain dead here.

Keep in mind this sweater is a PONCHO sweater so the armholes are huge. It's very confusing to me from the way it is worded to say "17 more times" instead of 17 more rows.
Because the next part is clearer to do it every 6th row three times, not 3 rows, as I outlined above. ????

Then I would move on to the pattern's next part "then every 6th row 3 times - 37 sts.

R 18 (WS)
R 19 (RS)
R 20 (WS)
R 21 (RS)
R 22 (WS)
R 23 (RS) Decrease this row
R 24 (WS)
R 25 (RS)
R 26 (WS)
R 27 (RS)
R 28 (WS)
R 29 (RS) Decease this row
R 30 (WS)
R 31 (RS)
R 32 (WS)
R 33 (RS)
R 34 (WS)
R 35 (RS) Decrease this row

"work even until piece measures approx 25" from beg when measured down center. Bind off.

QUESTION: "work even.." What does that mean? Continue in Knit one row, then Purl on row until 25" from beg???

Thanks again for the great help!
Lee Lee[/b]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
The pattern actually said K2, K3tog, K to last 5 sts, SSSK, K2

I wrote SSK, not SSSK

Now, my question is HOW TO DO SSSK????? Is it the same as SSK, as shown in the videos on this site, just add an extra slip??
I would think so. Then you may pass the first slipped stitch over the ssk for a 2 stitch decrease like the k3tog at the beginning of the row. You've decreased 4 stitches total on the dec row.

Quote:
Shrugging shoulders Is that correct, or do I continue with these sets until I've actually decreased 17 rows over a 68 rows? I have 121 stitches on the needle and assume I have to get down to 37 stitches, which is what is said after completing the decrease below over 6 rows. I feel so lost and brain dead here. Banging Head Against Wall

It's very confusing to me from the way it is worded to say "17 more times" instead of 17 more rows.
Yes, you do the whole set of decreasing on every 4th row for 17 *more times*, not just 17 rows. Otherwise how are you going to decrease so many sts?

Quote:
Because the next part is clearer to do it every 6th row three times, not 3 rows, as I outlined above. ???? Shrugging shoulders
That's correct. What's hard to understand about 17 more times? The reason it's worded that way is because the first decrease row is step by step, but then they want you to repeat it (every 4th row) another 17 times. If they said 18 times total, would that be easier? Many people would be confused about it, thinking it's the first row, plus another 18 decs. Pattern writers have their own way of writing things, that's why we're here to help you translate. But usually, if you just take it step by step, you can figure it out. And don't try to figure it out when you're tired.... ;D

Quote:
QUESTION: "work even.." What does that mean? Continue in Knit one row, then Purl on row until 25" from beg???
Yep, that's right; don't do any more decreases.

sue
Old 12-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
LeeLee
Ribbing the Cuff

Big time thanks!
THANKS! So very, very much! What a great help you are.

This is my first pattern in knitting. Actually, it's the first thing I've tried to knit, except for practice samples. I've done some simple crochet, such as blankets, but no pattern so this pattern thing really got to me.

But your help is invaluable.

Just wanted to say Thanks Again!
Take care,
Lee Lee
Old 12-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

You're welcome! And if it hadn't be me, someone else would've helped you, too; that's what we're here for.

sue