Old 12-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
mari_13
1st Leg of the Journey

Is Knitting lace hard?
Hello ladies,

I'm sure this has been asked twenty times over but is knitting lace hard? I thinking I'm an okay knitter - I can knit hats, scarves, but no sweaters or lace. I taught myself how to knit cables (which was super easy) so I'm wondering if I can teach myself lace? Do you have any recommendations for beginner projects? TIA!

Mari
mari_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I taught myself lace. You should try a small lace item, like a dishcloth, headband, or wrist warmer, to get the hang of it, and a simple pattern with a couple of rows for starters. Here are some patterns you might want to try:
Feather and Fan Dishcloth
Arrowhead Lace headband
Branching Out
I've made a couple of things with lace, and once you get the hang of the pattern, it can be very hypnotizing. When I was working on my asphodel scarf, the six row lace pattern (with no purl rows) required me to concentrate to keep from dropping stitches, and I would find myself reciting the pattern to myself like a mantra. Very zen.

Good luck! Make sure to post pictures!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Knitting Pattern Central has a bunch of lace bookmarks and stuff here.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Chel
Turning the Heel

Lace can be VERY easy, but if you are easily distracted (like me ) or have cats (like me ) my best advice to you is use a lifeline.

I lifelines.

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
newamy
Working the Gusset

Lace is easier than the finished product looks but it takes concentration. I did Branching Out- suggested above. Used a life line. Took me 4 tries to get going but once I did I was better. I couldn't talk or watch TV while working on it. Toward the end I was better and could actually listen to conversations around me and answer yes and no questions- but that was it. I did some socks with a very simple lace design and once I had the repeats memorized I could talk while doing that. I did not need a life line for that and I know I made a few mistakes but they don't show!

The ease of it I think depends on the pattern. Start with a simple one, no more than say 8 rows in a repeat and it's even better if every other row is purl.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I love knitting lace very much but it did take me a while to learn. What I learned is no matter how confident you are use a lifeline!!!!

You can also break down the pattern and use stitch markers so you can have something to count to help you figure out where a mistake may have been made.

Starting off with a small project is a wonderful idea and remember, lace can be knit with any size yarn as long as the needles are way to big for the yarn so you can knit lace with worsted weight yarn, which make be more comfortable to start out with than lace weight yarn.

Good luck, you'll love knitting lace!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
mari_13
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you ladies for your advice. One question...what's a lifeline?

I think I will start with a dishcloth. There are SO many hats I want to knit that feature lace, I'm excited to try it! Thank you!

Mari
mari_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

A life line is a piece of scrap yarn that you run through your last set of stitches when you know the knitting before that row is correct.

What it does is give you a safe space to rip back to if you make a mistake. It prevents you from having to rip all the way back to the beginning.

You just take a piece of scrap yarn and a tapestry needle and just thread it throught all your stitches on the needle then you can proceed on to knitting the next row. You can insert life lines as often as you'd like so you don't have to rip back as far. Only leave one in at a time though or it may distort the stitches.

The white pieces of yarn in the picture below are life lines.

sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
mrs desert rain
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to mrs desert rain
here's another easy one, though i'm not sure a garter is at all practical (unless you're soon-to-be-wed, or know someone who is...)

Lace Garter

i'm making one for my sister, and will post a photo when it's finished!

Free time? What free time?
More socks (Lorna's Laces, Baltic Sea)
Tie-Front Cardigan (p. 71 VOGUE Knitting, Holiday 06)
Rose Cardigan (VOGUE Knitting, Winter 07)

Recent FO's
Wicked Sweater
Socks and socks and socks
Calorimetries Galore
mrs desert rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #10
DreamWeaver
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DreamWeaver
I get ace knitting... mostly. I just have one question:
I've seen two different kninds of yarn overs; one where you put the yarn inbetween the two needes, and another is when you wrap the yarn around the needes. Which one's a yarn over and which one is... not a yarn over? (I think I've asked this before, but I forgot )

FO's: Just finished both of my pink socks. Nothing fancy, but alright.
WIP: Nothing. It's so depressing
Up Next: Purse for my friend (still need to get yarn)
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote